• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

Why?

Hello, it's Jack / Jackie. I'm a MK8DX player, not very popular for his attitude in it. But I ask why do you stay and continue to play this game?

I played it for a bit and I found it so boring, it's like it's not innovating anything new it seems from the outside. I am just asking, why do you continue to play this game and not try out MK8DX for a bit?

MKW has tech and lets you explore. It lets you invent short cuts. It has a better item distribution system. It doesn't have coins to go off of your line to gather, meaning you get to actually recover while maintaining top speed. It offers the player more control over the vehicle, which doesn't get tossed around and backwards like it does MK8DX. MKW doesn't baby the player with smart steering baby-easy mode. It doesn't have shitty fireballs and piranha. MKW lets you have time to react to items and you're not just automatically a victim of a high speed, didn't-even-see-it green shell. MKW's item system is assistive, MK8DX's encourages spam.

OP
Jackie
Thread Starter #6
MKW has tech and lets you explore. It lets you invent short cuts. It has a better item distribution system. It doesn't have coins to go off of your line to gather, meaning you get to actually recover while maintaining top speed. It offers the player more control over the vehicle, which doesn't get tossed around and backwards like it does MK8DX. MKW doesn't baby the player with smart steering baby-easy mode. It doesn't have shitty fireballs and piranha. MKW lets you have time to react to items and you're not just automatically a victim of a high speed, didn't-even-see-it green shell. MKW's item system is assistive, MK8DX's encourages spam.
Not really sure if that's you, but I gotta agree with you on a lot of things here.

I think MK8DX gets trashed for it's tech and exploration and feel to it. There's a lot of shortcuts players just don't bother finding or know about. A perfect example is on Dragon Driftway, in my experience, casual players hardly even know about the gap cut NISC on 150cc.

I'm going to come to the conclusion that MK8DX encourages more strategy in wars, and FFAs are more luck based than in MKWii, so keep that in mind.

For the item distribution system, I really actually have to agree with you on this. While MK8DXs was unique, Wii's was far better. MK8DX however if you do some testing and knowledge, can usually predict what you will get if you chain certain items if you are experienced with RNG manipulation and distance units tricks.

Your coin argument was flawed in my opinion, it's a matter of opinion. You either like em or you don't. For me, I like both. In MK8DX, it encourages going for 10 coins quick, if you fall behind making a calculated comeback using smart lines, going for 10 coins, and using items in smart and knowing bullet bill spots will get you far. In MKWii, you get to top speed nearly immediately, it feels like it requires no skill to comeback in MKWii, as long as you know how to standstill miniturbo, basic item usage and not take awful lines. In MK8DX you have to consider shocks, other players item usage, how many coins you have, what team or player has what item. (You can see other players holding items in MK8DX)

With this toss around vehicle argument, I really don't see it's that bad. Bumps can hurt your race but that adds more strategy to knowing what players are next to you, and you can take note of the lines they are taking and how you can outline them.

Smart steering is optional.

People give shit to fireballs and the plant. But I don't see why? I fucking hate the plant, get that shit out of the next MK game if there is one. But fireballs can be spammed and hurt others races, but you can also use it strategically. You need to know where your team mates are, if they are some close you need to get it gone and aim away from them.

I have to agree with you on item spam, it needs to be fixed in a patch. Greens need to slow down a lot and backspam is to op. Other than that, the game doesn't encourage spam. In FFAs or any small team lounge format it does, but otherwise it really doesn't. In 6v6s, you have to strategically use every item, call out the shock and maybe be prepared to hold it for a lap. There's a lot more things that come with it. FFAs are spam2win, and most of the high level community and most of the low level community has accepted this. But like myself, 6v6s are so much fun and competitive in MK8DX, and I had a lot more fun with 6v6s in MK8DX, but FFAs are better in MKWii.

If it is actually Astro Star I really liked your content, ofc when it existed. It was nice to see this reply, I hope to have a constructive discussion about it as well!

OP
Jackie
Thread Starter #7
Something else I didn't mention and may be personal bias, but from what I see in the competitive MKWii discussion. I don't see any new ideas other than the Elite League, any new tournaments or ideas. In MK8DX we are always creating new ideas and community events.

~Maidvelia~

Every day I'll fight to be Legendary
Administrator
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
New ideas don't happen because everyone wants comfort food and very few take the initiative to run their own weekend tournament and instead just default to mogi lounge or WL.

It's annoying to see honestly.

Urusai_V

With Mario Kart Wii, there are 2 sides you can either tackle it from. The Regular Nintendo track side, or the Custom Track side.

This is coming from someone who's played CTs (Custom Tracks) since 2012 since ive never been a fan of Regulars. And who has done a max VR on MK8D (WorldWide #150) once and only once.

With Mario Kart Wii, the game itself has such a huge skill diversity and a layer of complexity under the actual surface of the game itself that a lot of people don't normally see unless you go digging into it.

(This is coming from a Custom Track perspective, so I know nothing of Regulars)
-Tech and Micro Tech that Mkwii has is endless compared to most games considering how fast the actual game is.
-Skill Cap is extremely hard to reach, but you still feel yourself climbing with enough time with the game
-Vehicle diversity is very small, but with enough time / effort / research you can make anything work. (Been using Spear since 2014 and its really shown)
-Only certain items can ruin races when spammed and even then spamming will more then likely make you lose in Mario Kart Wii.
-I still find myself learning about new tech everyday with this game with the amount of track diversity there is.
-The games physics are extremely odd at first, but consistent on what is being displayed around you. Requiring you to have multiple plans of action on specific jumps or courses in general.
-Stop Mini-Turbos

With Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the game is just absolutely soulless with how its setup.
Issues:
-Skill Cap in this game hits relatively sooner then you expect. This game just becomes luck of the draw with how people use items.
-Even then this games designed for wide skill gaps to keep up with one another in certain situations which invalidates skill.
-The only bits of Interesting "Tech" This game has is doing UMTs in certain spots, Inconsistent Shroomless's, F-Zero big blue nonsense. Since Firehopping and Demon Sliding arnt a thing anymore.
-General Public doesn't understand how items work and never will to this day
-Spamming Items is an actual norm and makes rooms require less skill and mostly luck due to item aim assist. (Room Stagnation)
-Items (Smart Bounce and Smart Steering Greens, Reds on Steroids, Horn in general causes stagnation and is mostly spammed)
-Servers stability and Peer to Peer (Awful)
-Bots replacing players who left, which causes random item usage and bad room stability which messes with Items.
-Distance Based Items extremely makes items unfun and inconsistent.
-Nintendos lack of Shortcuts in MK8D courses making speed items extremely irrelevant in terms of usage. (Cloudtop Cruise being a big one)
-200cc Split the community, even with adding it to worldwides it didn't stop people from making 200cc communities.
-Forced 200cc caused people to hate worldwides and isn't enjoyable in the slightest (150cc builds and 200cc builds obv).
-Honestly, VR is a mistake and the matchmaking didnt even work right.
-High tier races are also very hard to find, NAT really does come into play for this one ontop of connection between countries will make any room just not function the way it should.
-MK8Ds physics are extremely inconsistent with what you're actually expecting in certain situations. (Basically bouncing off walls at 90 degree angles is not OK) Or just slightly clipping an edge of a course when you should be in the right.

I still feel like ive missed a lot of points. But those are the only ones I can think of atm.

Last edited:
OP
Jackie
Thread Starter #10
New ideas don't happen because everyone wants comfort food and very few take the initiative to run their own weekend tournament and instead just default to mogi lounge or WL.

It's annoying to see honestly.
Again I'm not familiar with the MKWii community other than a few teams that play both games. I'll prob get shit for it in our discord, but whatever.

If you're a mod, then don't you or can try to encourage players to do so?

In the main MK8DX community, we have two tournaments on Sundays, 200 League and MKU, which everybody knows and is the favourite. We also have Amplify, Solo Circuit, Agility, Spanish Elite League, Americas League, and stuff like that. I just am wondering why people still prefer being here with the lack of community events etc

With Mario Kart Wii, there are 2 sides you can either tackle it from. The Regular Nintendo track side, or the Custom Track side.

This is coming from someone who's played CTs (Custom Tracks) since 2012 since ive never been a fan of Regulars. And who has done a max VR on MK8D once and only once.

With Mario Kart Wii, the game itself has such a huge skill diversity and a layer of complexity under the actual surface of the game itself that a lot of people don't normally see unless you go digging into it.

(This is coming from a Custom Track perspective, so I know nothing of Regulars)
-Tech and Micro Tech that Mkwii has is endless compared to most games considering how fast the actual game is.
-Skill Cap is extremely hard to reach, but you still feel yourself climbing with enough time with the game
-Vehicle diversity is very small, but with enough time / effort / research you can make anything work. (Been using Spear since 2014 and its really shown)
-Only certain items can ruin races when spammed and even then spamming will more then likely make you lose in Mario Kart Wii.
-I still find myself learning about new tech everyday with this game with the amount of track diversity there is.
- There is a lot of tech in MKWii and I like it! I just see it as failed potential where limited tournaments, and stuff like that. I think the tech in MKW can even rival some very popular competitive games!
- Yes I agree, but you are again from an outsider looking into MK8DX, the skill cap is surprisingly bigger than you'd think on MK8DX. We have 10 divisions in our main tournament, and it shows the skill barrier.
- This is a turnoff for me, I love being able to use characters like Donkey Kong, Waluigi, Roy and they all have the same stats so I can mix it up! I can use like 6 different combos and still have a chance as well. But yeah, I agree. You can get good at any vehicle if it's not horrible. I'm sure if somebody tried they could become a mini beast god.
- I agree with this.
- When in MK8DX, there is a lot of tech and improvement to be had than people think. So it doesn't rival the tech of Wii, but it is still a lot of tech.

-General Public doesn't understand how items work and never will to this day
-Spamming Items is an actual norm and makes rooms require less skill and mostly luck due to item aim assist. (Room Stagnation)
-Items (Smart Bounce and Smart Steering Greens, Reds on Steroids, Horn in general causes stagnation and is mostly spammed)
-Servers stability and Peer to Peer (Awful)
-Bots replacing players who left, which causes random item usage and bad room stability which messes with Items.
-Distance Based Items
-Nintendos lack of Shortcuts in MK8D courses making speed items extremely irrelevant in terms of usage. (Cloudtop Cruise being a big one)
-200cc Split the community, even with adding it to worldwides it didn't stop people from making 200cc communities.
-Forced 200cc caused people to hate worldwides and isn't enjoyable in the slightest (150cc builds and 200cc builds obv).
-Honestly, VR is a mistake and the matchmaking didnt even work right.
-High tier races are also very hard to find, NAT really does come into play for this one ontop of connection between countries will make any room just not function the way it should.
- Only in FFAs imo, in wars they are a lot better.
- Ehh, while it's annoying. If you're any bit of calm, you'll be fine.
- Lol I agree, if the room has good net tho it's usually ok.
- There is an option to turn this off other than in WWs/Regional
- I agree, it sucks but with knowledge you can do it. More details on this in my reply to Astro.
- Ehhhh, I really liked how shortcuts and mushrooms were in MK8DX. It was limited, and I'd like more shortcuts. A good example is the Mushroom Gorge Gap jump, those kind of shortcuts would have worked great in MK8DX.
- It didn't split the community, you play both, you play one, or you play the other but we all still knew each other through out game modes, and even Battle has a community still all inter connected into one big community.
- 200cc ruining Worldwides I hate that, you can master 200cc with any character. Roy/Waluigi/DK being the big one, using those with Mr Scooty works in both gamemodes.
- I +1 this.
- High tier races are hard to find? Mogi lounge, even in the lower tiers they give some competition as long as you're not a god.

Nice talking to you, as I said to Astro I hope we can have a great discussion :)

Last edited:

~Maidvelia~

Every day I'll fight to be Legendary
Administrator
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
If you're a mod, then don't you or can try to encourage players to do so?
Some people are set in their ways and you'll never get to them. I have tried to encourage new mentalities (as well as returning to some of our optimal roots--the way we handle clans right now is abysmal) for a long time in various community Discords and some of my posts. There's only so much you can do.

Even before I was a moderator I had acted upon new ideas (such as spearheading the CT divisions to be put in CSL season 4--now a staple to WL, and also the Underused Lounge). There comes a point where you run out of time to run things and have to focus on IRL. My current project right now is a community podcast which is meant to encourage discussion on various community issues. If my projects didn't inspire anyone then there's not much left I can do while inactive (actions speak louder than words afterall).

That all being said, I still want to see the community prosper and a lot of people who know me say I'm gonna be the very last person who loses interest in the betterment of the community (for better or for worse).

OP
Jackie
Thread Starter #12
Some people are set in their ways and you'll never get to them. I have tried to encourage new mentalities (as well as returning to some of our optimal roots--the way we handle clans right now is abysmal) for a long time in various community Discords and some of my posts. There's only so much you can do.

Even before I was a moderator I had acted upon new ideas (such as spearheading the CT divisions to be put in CSL season 4--now a staple to WL, and also the Underused Lounge). There comes a point where you run out of time to run things and have to focus on IRL. If my projects didn't inspire anyone then there's not much left I can do while MIA (actions speak louder than words afterall).

That all being said, I still want to see the community prosper and a lot of people who know me say I'm gonna be the very last person who loses interest in the betterment of the community (for better or for worse).
Sounds good, I wish you luck

Team
Arcadia
MKW has tech and lets you explore. It lets you invent short cuts.
Shortcuts and glitches are definitely more prominent in MKWii. Whether that's better or not is subjective, personally I prefer no ultra track breaking shortcuts but I see the massive appeal in them and they add a different skill set to the game and MKWii gives this while MK8DK doesn't.

It has a better item distribution system.
I'm going to assume you have barely put any time into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with this statement. As someone with over 1000 hours on both games, I will clarify this better for people that never gave 8d a chance because this claim is pure bogus (not saying mkwii's is bad either, both fits their game better).

For people that don't know much about MK8 deluxe, it's item system is distance-based, not positional based like Wii's. And as it's true that MK8 Wii U did a terrible job at this, 8 deluxe's item system is the most balanced item system in the entire by a long mile in my opinion. The items you can get are a lot more predictable than in 8 wii U and you don't need to stop to let someone pass in order to have a shot at a better item (example if you want a star you don't need to wait at boxes with multiple people to be 7-8 instead of 6th, this would make no sense to do in this game outside of a couple tracks) you can just drive and get one if you are in the right distance. The catchup items are very consistent, unlike 8 wii U (hello greens in 10th place way in the back!). the double item system also works a lot better than the single item system did for 8 U.

Now that aside, 8 deluxe's item system (Distance based) would not be good in Mario Kart Wii, much to go into the point of the expert short cut and the amount of catchup (luck tracks) that the game has. If it was distance based everyone would just wait at the first set until someone front runs long enough to get stars / goldens and just be a clusterfuck of people goldening/starring up which would be C*****. This would also go for tracks with big cuts like rBC3, GV, and DDR. In other words, the positional vs. distance argument depends on how the game itself plays out, but ofc course only someone that knows both games would be able to determine that.

However, one thing 8d has that Wii doesn't that I believe is beneficial for any competitive MK to have is the chance of multiple shocks. Multiple shocks adds way more depth and strategy to the meta. Do you use it early as the other team could have one or pull one? Do you wait? How many dodges do you want to have before you do it? Once you have the shock its not a safe haven where you know your team has the auto advantage. You have to balance the risk and rewards, holding a shock too long can make you lose yours and your team gets fucked but using one too early and not getting much benefit can also screw you over. The multiple shock meta is definitely better than the single shock meta from a competitive standpoint, and anyone who has played an MK game past Wii seriously would know this to be true. There's a reason why everyone hates suicide bagging more and more lately, and this item system borderline negates that aspect of the game.

It doesn't have coins to go off of your line to gather, meaning you get to actually recover while maintaining top speed.
Again, this statement makes me assume you never really gave 8 a chance. Coin collecting is a major part of MK8 and in case people are unaware, having coins raises your base speed incrementally and maxes out at 10 coins. So how do coins factor in a war? Well if you are in the front, most tracks have coins you take that is in the TT lines or extremely close to. Your teammates are behind you? Sure you can grab the more risky coins if you want or leave them for your teammate, but if an opponent is behind you? You might think twice. If you are playing the back it's optimal to pad your coin count and you can do this by taking the more "weird" coins so to speak so you can raise your top speed and use power items to catch back up. It adds another skill set and choices to make in-game instead of just trying to maximize TT lines every turn regardless of the scenario.

I understand coins aren't everyone's thing and that's cool, but this claim is completely false and you can front run and keep high speeds if you want, but it's not always the best choice to take the best "TT line".

It offers the player more control over the vehicle, which doesn't get tossed around and backward like it does MK8DX.
When you shroom into walls and stuff yeah the physics can bump you around like ping-pong and it's not a good time. As for general control over your vehicle though, the combination of vehicles is way more spread out in 8d compared to Wii and I find I have more control with the vehicle I use (Mr. Scooty) than I did over Daisy Mach bike in Wii (Played competitively in D2 in both games at one point). You get lots of control over your vehcile in genreal but if you shroom into walls than yes, that's when you lose pretty much all control, but that shouldn't be an issue much once you get a hang of the game.

MKW doesn't baby the player with smart steering baby-easy mode.
This just sounds like you're being petty towards the game. I don't see how this is an argument to bash the game when its optional and no one uses it in the competitive scene and even in random WWs you rarely see this. This feature exist for really young kids that want to play the game and not drive off. Another aspect it could be good for is used for people with disabilities. I worked at a center that ran activities for people with disabilities (physical and mental) and there were a few people that were super into video games there but due to their disability they had a hard time playing games (one guy could only use one hand for example) and we played mkwii where one of us held the remote and the other the nunchuck for example as he was unable to play alone. I usually ended up steering. Smart steering can let people that otherwise couldn't get a chance to get the full game experience, get it.

So ya, using a completely optional feature as a petty backlash towards MK8 because of MKWii elitism you hold (apologies if you don't have it but your post made me think you have a lot, the tone of it) and is rather a dick move to not consider maybe why it's an option?

It doesn't have shitty fireballs and piranha.
Fireballs are complete garbage, no doubts about that lmao. So are Thunderclouds tho so it's picking your poison really. Piranha plants are actually one of the most versatile items, if not the most in the game that doesn't appear versatile. The options you have with a piranha are insane in team matches. Do you make it bite fast or slow to keep it longer shorter? Do you use it to get ahead more or do you let teammates pass you and Schlag the opposition with it? Do you last second jump into a Shortcut with it when the other team is behind you knowing you'll fuck your race over but maybe a couple of theirs for the overall benefit? This item isn't a shitty item for the franchise. Much like the POW in mkwii, it doesn't appear very useful and annoying at times, but it lowkey has the power to completely flip a race unexpectedly, items like that are needed and I think the plant and the POW are great examples of these, I wish 8D had POW's too. Personally, I'd argue boomerangs are worse than Plants. And in case you only played the game before it was patched, at that time plants were terrible because 3 could be pulled at once and their spawning rate was further back but after the first patch there's only 1 in play at times and the distances you get them at are less common and more appropriate. Before the first patch, I'd agree that the plant was an aids item.

MKW lets you have time to react to items and you're not just automatically a victim of a high speed, didn't-even-see-it green shell.
Items are harder to dodge in 8D than MKWii, that's a fact. There is the time you get a bullshit green shell angle and not much you could do but it's not nearly as bad as you're making it sound. 95% of green shells are avoidable, the use of mirrors is much more important in 8d than in Wii. Once you play a lot you start to get better at predicting what other people will do to and it makes it easier to dodge. The biggest pitfall in every Mario Kart game, is that people blame luck for their bad outcomes and don't see why the "bad luck" happened or how they could've prevented it. This was a bigger problem in Wii but since the games been out a long time and the average player is way better than in the past, you don't see this as much whereas 8d is still new and the gap in players at the moment is extremely massive so this mindset has resurfaced again more prominently.

MKW's item system is assistive, MK8DX's encourages spam.
You can get away with spamming easier in 8D. I haven't Worldwide much but worldwide have never been the way to play 8D imo, as lots of people are braindead and mash L. Wii seems like it played the best in worldwides for me although I'm not sure if nostalgia bias has an effect in that but they seemed more enjoyable in Wii than both 8's. It's much better in the team environment for this. I don't see how the item system isn't assistive though. Once you gauge the distances you can abuse the pulls you can get for shrooms/stars/bills/goldens much easier. Even for mid pack items, it's much harder to pull what you want but you can increase the odds (similar to increasing your odds for a certain in wii by being in a certain position). Maybe I don't exactly know what you meant by assisstive, but the system in 8D is as assisstive as the player can make it.

Both are good games in their merit, this post just kinda irritated me because I feel this happens a lot, where people that played very little to no 8D, or even attempted to get competent in the game bash it and give out false information about the game and run back to what they are comfortable with and have been doing for a decade. So I wanted to give my opinions on people that don't know much about 8 from someone that has played a lot of both games and has been a big contributor in the community to both 8 and Wii during my days. And it just turned out, this post was perfect to use as an example of someone who doesn't know much about 8.

Personally, I like both games a lot but I don't play Wii much anymore because I'm burnt out from it as its been like 10 years since it's release and as KD said, the variance in tournament formats is an issue.

Last edited:
OP
Jackie
Thread Starter #15
Shortcuts and glitches are definitely more prominent in MKWii. Whether that's better or not is subjective, personally I prefer no ultra track breaking shortcuts but I see the massive appeal in them and they add a different skill set to the game and MKWii gives this while MK8DK doesn't.

I'm going to assume you have barely put any time into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with this statement. As someone with over 1000 hours on both games, I will clarify this better for people that never gave 8d a chance because this claim is pure bogus (not saying mkwii's is bad either, both fits their game better).

For people that don't know much about MK8 deluxe, it's item system is distance-based, not positional based like Wii's. And as it's true that MK8 Wii U did a terrible job at this, 8 deluxe's item system is the most balanced item system in the entire by a long mile in my opinion. The items you can get are a lot more predictable than in 8 wii U and you don't need to stop to let someone pass in order to have a shot at a better item (example if you want a star you don't need to wait at boxes with multiple people to be 7-8 instead of 6th, this would make no sense to do in this game outside of a couple tracks) you can just drive and get one if you are in the right distance. The catchup items are very consistent, unlike 8 wii U (hello greens in 10th place way in the back!). the double item system also works a lot better than the single item system did for 8 U.

Now that aside, 8 deluxe's item system (Distance based) would not be good in Mario Kart Wii, much to go into the point of the expert short cut and the amount of catchup (luck tracks) that the game has. If it was distance based everyone would just wait at the first set until someone front runs long enough to get stars / goldens and just be a clusterfuck of people goldening/starring up which would be C*****. This would also go for tracks with big cuts like rBC3, GV, and DDR. In other words, the positional vs. distance argument depends on how the game itself plays out, but ofc course only someone that knows both games would be able to determine that.

However, one thing 8d has that Wii doesn't that I believe is beneficial for any competitive MK to have is the chance of multiple shocks. Multiple shocks adds way more depth and strategy to the meta. Do you use it early as the other team could have one or pull one? Do you wait? How many dodges do you want to have before you do it? Once you have the shock its not a safe haven where you know your team has the auto advantage. You have to balance the risk and rewards, holding a shock too long can make you lose yours and your team gets fucked but using one too early and not getting much benefit can also screw you over. The multiple shock meta is definitely better than the single shock meta from a competitive standpoint, and anyone who has played an MK game past Wii seriously would know this to be true. There's a reason why everyone hates suicide bagging more and more lately, and this item system borderline negates that aspect of the game.

Again, this statement makes me assume you never really gave 8 a chance. Coin collecting is a major part of MK8 and in case people are unaware, having coins raises your base speed incrementally and maxes out at 10 coins. So how do coins factor in a war? Well if you are in the front, most tracks have coins you take that is in the TT lines or extremely close to. Your teammates are behind you? Sure you can grab the more risky coins if you want or leave them for your teammate, but if an opponent is behind you? You might think twice. If you are playing the back it's optimal to pad your coin count and you can do this by taking the more "weird" coins so to speak so you can raise your top speed and use power items to catch back up. It adds another skill set and choices to make in-game instead of just trying to maximize TT lines every turn regardless of the scenario.

I understand coins aren't everyone's thing and that's cool, but this claim is completely false and you can front run and keep high speeds if you want, but it's not always the best choice to take the best "TT line".

When you shroom into walls and stuff yeah the physics can bump you around like ping-pong and it's not a good time. As for general control over your vehicle though, the combination of vehicles is way more spread out in 8d compared to Wii and I find I have more control with the vehicle I use (Mr. Scooty) than I did over Daisy Mach bike in Wii (Played competitively in D2 in both games at one point). You get lots of control over your vehcile in genreal but if you shroom into walls than yes, that's when you lose pretty much all control, but that shouldn't be an issue much once you get a hang of the game.

This just sounds like you're being petty towards the game. I don't see how this is an argument to bash the game when its optional and no one uses it in the competitive scene and even in random WWs you rarely see this. This feature exist for really young kids that want to play the game and not drive off. Another aspect it could be good for is used for people with disabilities. I worked at a center that ran activities for people with disabilities (physical and mental) and there were a few people that were super into video games there but due to their disability they had a hard time playing games (one guy could only use one hand for example) and we played mkwii where one of us held the remote and the other the nunchuck for example as he was unable to play alone. I usually ended up steering. Smart steering can let people that otherwise couldn't get a chance to get the full game experience, get it.

So ya, using a completely optional feature as a petty backlash towards MK8 because of MKWii elitism you hold (apologies if you don't have it but your post made me think you have a lot, the tone of it) and is rather a dick move to not consider maybe why it's an option?

Fireballs are complete garbage, no doubts about that lmao. So are Thunderclouds tho so it's picking your poison really. Piranha plants are actually one of the most versatile items, if not the most in the game that doesn't appear versatile. The options you have with a piranha are insane in team matches. Do you make it bite fast or slow to keep it longer shorter? Do you use it to get ahead more or do you let teammates pass you and Schlag the opposition with it? Do you last second jump into a Shortcut with it when the other team is behind you knowing you'll fuck your race over but maybe a couple of theirs for the overall benefit? This item isn't a shitty item for the franchise. Much like the POW in mkwii, it doesn't appear very useful and annoying at times, but it lowkey has the power to completely flip a race unexpectedly, items like that are needed and I think the plant and the POW are great examples of these, I wish 8D had POW's too. Personally, I'd argue boomerangs are worse than Plants. And in case you only played the game before it was patched, at that time plants were terrible because 3 could be pulled at once and their spawning rate was further back but after the first patch there's only 1 in play at times and the distances you get them at are less common and more appropriate. Before the first patch, I'd agree that the plant was an aids item.

Items are harder to dodge in 8D than MKWii, that's a fact. There is the time you get a bullshit green shell angle and not much you could do but it's not nearly as bad as you're making it sound. 95% of green shells are avoidable, the use of mirrors is much more important in 8d than in Wii. Once you play a lot you start to get better at predicting what other people will do to and it makes it easier to dodge. The biggest pitfall in every Mario Kart game, is that people blame luck for their bad outcomes and don't see why the "bad luck" happened or how they could've prevented it. This was a bigger problem in Wii but since the games been out a long time and the average player is way better than in the past, you don't see this as much whereas 8d is still new and the gap in players at the moment is extremely massive so this mindset has resurfaced again more prominently.

You can get away with spamming easier in 8D. I haven't Worldwide much but worldwide have never been the way to play 8D imo, as lots of people are braindead and mash L. Wii seems like it played the best in worldwides for me although I'm not sure if nostalgia bias has an effect in that but they seemed more enjoyable in Wii than both 8's. It's much better in the team environment for this. I don't see how the item system isn't assistive though. Once you gauge the distances you can abuse the pulls you can get for shrooms/stars/bills/goldens much easier. Even for mid pack items, it's much harder to pull what you want but you can increase the odds (similar to increasing your odds for a certain in wii by being in a certain position). Maybe I don't exactly know what you meant by assisstive, but the system in 8D is as assisstive as the player can make it.

Both are good games in their merit, this post just kinda irritated me because I feel this happens a lot, where people that played very little to no 8D, or even attempted to get competent in the game bash it and give out false information about the game and run back to what they are comfortable with and have been doing for a decade. So I wanted to give my opinions on people that don't know much about 8 from someone that has played a lot of both games and has been a big contributor in the community to both 8 and Wii during my days. And it just turned out, this post was perfect to use as an example of someone who doesn't know much about 8.

Personally, I like both games a lot but I don't play Wii much anymore because I'm burnt out from it as its been like 10 years since it's release and as KD said, the variance in tournament formats is an issue.
hi, well said... i thought my responses were well said. lol