• The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • There are a number of upcoming tournaments that may interest people, so click the links to find out more!
    Embrace The Change - Cambridge, UK - MK8DX/MKW - 6th July
    Exalt - New York, USA - MKW - 13th-14th July
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

Why the CTWL format needs to change + New format proposal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

s'

Media Staff
Team
Moonblast
Since last season, CTWL has changed drastically from what it used to be.
For 10 seasons you could've picked any track from the ones in the pack, with the exception of few banned tracks, or sometimes new tracks that were added too recently from the date of the match. During these 10 seasons, very often people complained about how big of an advantage it is to get the majority of the track picks, because some tracks would be too op for certain starting positions (more frequent in high divisions) or simply because, since there's many tracks in CTGP, the other team picked tracks that you didn't know (more frequent in low divisions), since it's hard for newcomers to learn over 200 tracks all at once in a short amount of time.

The complaints started being too many, so, people wanted a change in the CTWL format. That's when Rookie came up with an idea that consisted in having a list of only 20 tracks to pick from, changed and randomized with different tracks every week. Even though the majority of the people were against this change, it was approved by council and applied to S14.
This new format brought many positive changes, such as:
- Much more variety of the tracks played in league matches;
- Advantage of getting more track picks being reduced because of the impossibility of picking many broken tracks for certain spots;
- Advantage of getting more track picks being furtherly redcued because of the impossibility of picking tracks that the opponent may not know because everyone knows the track they're gonna play in advance
- People learning more tracks.

As you can see, this new format has many pros, but at the same time a few cons that just make it not worth. One of the strongest new format supporters' antithesis to the old format is that, especially for newcomers, practising over 200 tracks every week is unrealistic, which is true, but practising 20 tracks in a week is even worse, and here's why.
Practising 20 different tracks that change every week takes A LOAD of time, especially for newcomers, the category of players that you claim do be caring of so much. Just for example, the first week I spent over 30 hours (yes) practising every track until I was confident on all of them. And no, practising a track isn't getting into a track, remember if you know what track it is or not and trying to remember where do you go in what turns. Practising a track implies remembering all the strats, shortcuts and being confident on everything. And doing that on 20 different tracks every week also looks unrealistic. And there's also to mention that many times there's tracks that a lot of people don't like, which is obviously subjective.

Though, as I mentioned, having a tracklist still gives a lot of benefits, so this is the new format I thought:
- Still having a list of 20 tracks to pick from valid for that week (and not 26 as it was proposed to be changed into);
- Having players to vote for the list of week 1 and give a result 2 weeks before the date of the default matches;
- Having players to vote 10 tracks to be removed from the list;
- Having players to vote 10 tracks to substitute the 10 that got removed from the list;
- A track that already got removed can't be added back in the list more than once.
You all can figure when the votings get started, ended, and when the list gets updated.
We can make everyone happy this way.

now read and apply

Last edited by a moderator:

Niko

WL Staff
Lounge Staff
i'll add a bit of spacing to the post just to make it a tad more pleasant to read.
anyway, my piece is pretty much my personal stance so don't necessarily consider this a "council's" response:

pros of the current format have been pointed out so I won't bother with repeating.

generally speaking, and i'm saying this as someone who played in wZ as my team which arguably wasn't benefitted a lot by this format, i still believe the new approach has its interesting perks regardless of us losing out on our most (unconventional) tracks.
issues i had personally is the fact that strategizing to an extent (depending on the list) didn't quite work out after 50% of the war was finished; by which i basically mean you would ultimately end up picking certain tracks because you consider them the "least worst" out of the remaining tracks on a list.
i guess "pick your poison" would be an accurate expression to describe that. ^

this would also be why an expansion of the lists themselves was considered although i would've opted for 32 tracks just to keep it relatively small still but still big enough to the point where your chances of getting the proper tracks for your strategic purposes should work better.
^obviously subjective but generally speaking, the chances should increase

as for the proposal: i don't think it should be as big as 10 tracks being removed and 10 tracks substituted especially with a pool of 20 tracks.
you're effectively eliminating a whole 50% of the list which shouldn't be the purpose of a format like this.
striking tracks should be done in smaller numbers.
either one of these three things would come to mind for me:

- stick with 20 tracks as your whole list but reduce the amount of tracks players actually get to remove and substitute; 3-5 is a lot more reasonable
- if the system altogether isn't too popular, then wildcards picks each week could be an idea too; each week, every participating team gets to determine their wildcard which they can pick for said week and only for that one week while the regular procedure is still being followed like last season
- or give the lower divisions (no disrespect intended although i guess it will be taken either way) the option to actually vote on the formats themselves; D1 will 100% stick to the new format while, say, D2 and D3 would be given to vote on it like it used to be the case with playoffs

kind of all over the place tbh but yeah, just my two cents on the whole thing as a regular participant of last season

OP
OP
s'

s'

Media Staff
Team
Moonblast
as for the proposal: i don't think it should be as big as 10 tracks being removed and 10 tracks substituted especially with a pool of 20 tracks.
you're effectively eliminating a whole 50% of the list which shouldn't be the purpose of a format like this.
i don't think you got what i meant

what i meant is, in the list for the next week, keep 10 tracks from last week and get 10 new ones

Niko

WL Staff
Lounge Staff
well yeah, that is effectively a similar approach in a way; you still strike tracks and substitute them, the difference isn't exactly significant as you still end up removing the same amount of tracks being 10 out of 20 which shouldn't ever be this many in the first place

the amount would have to be reduced by a bit either way

OP
OP
s'

s'

Media Staff
Team
Moonblast
well yeah, that is effectively a similar approach in a way; you still strike tracks and substitute them, the difference isn't exactly significant as you still end up removing the same amount of tracks being 10 out of 20 which shouldn't ever be this many in the first place

the amount would have to be reduced by a bit either way
the list would be way too similiar to the previous week if you remove less than 10

also 10 tracks, voted by players (so everyone would already know at least 5 of the new tracks, on average) is very much doable in one week to get down