• Staff are currently aware of users being unable to register for the site; we are deeply sorry and working fast to help to fix it. Join the official MKB discord server here, make a support ticket, and provide your preferred email and username.
  • Donate to keep our site running in the future. For more information, click here
  • The Media Staff Team is recruiting and our applications are open! Check this thread for more details!
  • MarioKartBoards Media Outlets: YouTube // Twitch // 2nd Twitch // Twitter

What's causing this?

AeroYoshi

Cosmic
Supporter
I recently started up texture hacking and wanted to start with something simple but I've come across something weird and I'm not sure whats causing it.

I was modifying a funky kong texture and finally completed it, however after i loaded it up on mkwii (using dolphin and inserting into the iso using wiiscrubber) this weird character spazzing (not sure what word to use) occurred:

He just moves all over the place really strangely, and most animations act weird apart from wheeling. All I did was modify the texture's, I did not touch the model in any way (except for viewing it in a .brres viewer as I made changes). I'm using SZS Explorer to insert the files also.

I've tried googling a solution but found nothing. Anyone know what's causing this and/or how to correct it?

EDIT: The problem was the Application SZS Explorer that I was using to save the file. For some reason, at least to my best guess, is that it was messing up the animations somehow and causing the weird spazzing.

Last edited:

mkwbenjamin

Black Lives Matter.
Supporter
Switch
2872-9308-0601
Wiimmfi
5117-0125-4985
did you get the la_bike-fk file from scrubbing your own game? If you downloaded it from the internet, it was most likely edited to appear that way in game, either as a joke or by accident. It's quite hard to actually find 100% clean files online. I know that their are many "crazy/spaz" funky edits out their and this could very well be one of them.

if you can be sure that the file you edited was clean, then i'm not really sure what happened. One thing I can recommend though is to use BrawlBox instead of SZS Explorer. I find that it works better for me, and sometimes SZSE can do weird things to the files, i'm not quite sure why, but It just does. You can find the download link to the latest version of BB here if you are interested.

OP
AeroYoshi

AeroYoshi

Cosmic
Supporter
Thread Starter #5
did you get the la_bike-fk file from scrubbing your own game? If you downloaded it from the internet, it was most likely edited to appear that way in game, either as a joke or by accident. It's quite hard to actually find 100% clean files online. I know that their are many "crazy/spaz" funky edits out their and this could very well be one of them.

if you can be sure that the file you edited was clean, then i'm not really sure what happened. One thing I can recommend though is to use BrawlBox instead of SZS Explorer. I find that it works better for me, and sometimes SZSE can do weird things to the files, i'm not quite sure why, but It just does. You can find the download link to the latest version of BB here if you are interested.
That's probably it then, I downloaded it from a spriters resource website. I went that route since I figured it'd be easier to get the file (I have a mac so i'm using a virtual machine to use the apps neccessary. They can be finnicky at times with the virtual machine). Also didn't know that it'd be different, guess looks can deceive since they looked identical. I'll test that and see if it makes a difference (which means I have to make it from scratch again rip.)

I'll try brawlbox also, I downloaded it just in case I couldn't get SZS Explorer working on my Virtual Machine. Thanks also for the very thorough response.

mkwbenjamin

Black Lives Matter.
Supporter
Switch
2872-9308-0601
Wiimmfi
5117-0125-4985
have a mac so i'm using a virtual machine to use the apps neccessary
ah, yes, I understand the struggle. I haven't used it much yet, but BrawlBox appears to work well with WineBottler if you want to look into that. there are a few bugs though, so you might want to stick with that you have. If you have any tips or tricks to run windows applications that work well, please let me know : P

If you can't rip your game or get a clean file easily, I could send you one ASAP with no hassle because I have the whole game's worth at my disposal, so I wouldn't mind putting one up for download. PM me if you're interested!

(which means I have to make it from scratch again rip.)
the textures seem to appear fine, so if you're happy with those, you should just be able to export them from the spaz file and replace the two textures in a clean file. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "make it from scratch again," but this method is quite simple and barely even time consuming.

If you need further help, feel free to ask!

OP
AeroYoshi

AeroYoshi

Cosmic
Supporter
Thread Starter #7
ah, yes, I understand the struggle. I haven't used it much yet, but BrawlBox appears to work well with WineBottler if you want to look into that. there are a few bugs though, so you might want to stick with that you have. If you have any tips or tricks to run windows applications that work well, please let me know : P

If you can't rip your game or get a clean file easily, I could send you one ASAP with no hassle because I have the whole game's worth at my disposal, so I wouldn't mind putting one up for download. PM me if you're interested!

the textures seem to appear fine, so if you're happy with those, you should just be able to export them from the spaz file and replace the two textures in a clean file. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "make it from scratch again," but this method is quite simple and barely even time consuming.

If you need further help, feel free to ask!
Sorry I should have been more clear, or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. I ripped the file from my iso using wiiscrubber, the original file I used is from the iso, however I then downloaded the texture (Just the texture itself, the one that you can edit, would be named funky_all) off a spriters resource website since I couldn't find an option to export the image in SZS Explorer. (SZS Modifier required a framework that I couldn't install on the virtual machine, and I didn't try brawlbox since SZS Explorer seemed to work fine, regret this also since brawlbox is infinitely better after just using it). So my guess is the texture I downloaded is the edited file you mentioned. I hope what I said here made sense

Virtual Machines are the best way to go with running windows programs on macs, since winebottler often doesn't work with more obscure apps like these ones. You can get VirtualBox (free to use VM app) and the free windows 10 demo (from microsofts website) and use that indefinitely. It's not perfect, but it works for what I need it.

mkwbenjamin

Black Lives Matter.
Supporter
Switch
2872-9308-0601
Wiimmfi
5117-0125-4985
(Just the texture itself, the one that you can edit, would be named funky_all)
If by funky_all you mean something that looks like this:
fk.jpg
and it was the only thing in the download, then based off of this information, it wouldn't have caused the issues described in the first post. the animation spaz problem would most likely lie in the "AnmChr(NW4R)" folder inside la_bike-fk.szs.

as for the virtual machine tips, thank you! I'm sure I will be implementing them in the future as I transfer more applications to this computer.

Hope this help!

OP
AeroYoshi

AeroYoshi

Cosmic
Supporter
Thread Starter #9
If by funky_all you mean something that looks like this:
and it was the only thing in the download, then based off of this information, it wouldn't have caused the issues described in the first post. the animation spaz problem would most likely lie in the "AnmChr(NW4R)" folder inside la_bike-fk.szs.

as for the virtual machine tips, thank you! I'm sure I will be implementing them in the future as I transfer more applications to this computer.

Hope this help!
Yes thats the one.

No it can't be the case, I just scrubbed a fresh file, hasn't been edited at all and imported the same textures into it I used before with SZS Explorer (I did this also with brawlbox but when I loaded it up, picked my character, the game just black screened.) It's a completely fresh file, I even tested the ISO beforehand and loaded funky kong and there was zero spazzing. Once I edited the files, scrubbed it in, I got the exact same spazzing. At this point i'm quite stumped. I'll go ahead with my original plan to redo it from scratch using files only from the iso and see if that makes a difference.

Theres also the chance that I have a bad iso, but I doubt that as I was editing this before and didn't have spazzing. The character only started to spaz once I edited the vehicle.

Last edited:

mkwbenjamin

Black Lives Matter.
Supporter
Switch
2872-9308-0601
Wiimmfi
5117-0125-4985
that is really quite strange. I've never heard of a texture causing the animations of a character to change. huh. Im still really stumped on how it even could.

the only thing I can possibly think of is the texture file format. however, I've only experienced crashes when accidentally changing it. so maybe double check that everything matches up? other than that I'm at a loss for advice because I've never seen anything like this before.

sorry I couldn't be of much help. let me know if you find out what was wrong or how to fix it!

OP
AeroYoshi

AeroYoshi

Cosmic
Supporter
Thread Starter #11
that is really quite strange. I've never heard of a texture causing the animations of a character to change. huh. Im still really stumped on how it even could.

the only thing I can possibly think of is the texture file format. however, I've only experienced crashes when accidentally changing it. so maybe double check that everything matches up? other than that I'm at a loss for advice because I've never seen anything like this before.

sorry I couldn't be of much help. let me know if you find out what was wrong or how to fix it!
Ok I just redid the entire texture and it still happened, so the texture is ruled out.

As far as I can tell the file format's are the same, they export as .png, and I save them from photoshop as .png as well. Brawlbox also shows them both a CMPR format. If i save it fresh with brawlbox it just doesn't load the game when i attempt to race

I viewed the driver.szs in brres viewer and all the animations look normal, i dont see any issues

EDIT: Success! Noticed while troubleshooting that my brawlbox was outdated so after downloading a more updated brawlbox (that actually allowed me to save it without the game blackscreening) the spazzing is gone! Based on this I have to assume it was SZS Explorer causing it, and not the original file itself. After saving it with the newest brawlbox it was gone but saving it with SZS Explorer and the spazzing returned. Rather odd that the app itself was causing it.

Yup it was definitely the application causing the problem, as I saved it two seperate times just to be sure and no spazzing.

Thanks a bunch for your help also benji, would have never reached this conclusion without your suggestions.

Last edited:

mkwbenjamin

Black Lives Matter.
Supporter
Switch
2872-9308-0601
Wiimmfi
5117-0125-4985
would have never reached this conclusion without your suggestions.
oh please, you seem very knowledgable, I'm sure you would've reached a conclusion at some point. nonetheless, thank you for saying such kind things!

yeah, I don't know why, but SZSE has always been weird for me too. It usually puts all of the folders inside one another when I save, therefore causing the game to not be able to read it (crash), and me having to manually export and import all of the folders manually. Quite the pain.

I'm glad you found out what the issue was so quickly, usually if I run into an issue I can't solve, I become discouraged from modifying such files. We can always use new modders as they come and go quite often. I hope you continue to do what you're doing : )