• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

What is your all-time favourite soundtrack from a video game?

Shix

Team
λρocalypse | £thereal
Share your favourite music from a video game. It can be some tracks from a soundtrack or the entire soundtrack from a video game. You should also add a few sentences about why it is your all-time favourite.

Last edited:
Team
Arcadia
Top 5 (Not Ordered, few examples for each):

Megaman X: Literally every song is baller and tryhard as fuck and I'm a tryhard fuck.

Mother 3: OST actually really weird and unique with many weird musical decisions that somehow work so well together, never heard an OST like this one with an inch of its pressure.

Paper Mario: Probably some bias here because the PM series (first 2) is my favourite game duo ever to be made.

Bravely Default / Second: These games are Jesus tier and underrated as fuck, local call out to play them. OST definitely helps for that claim.

Golden Sun: Games also Jesus as a whole.

So many other OSTs I love but was tough leaving out some games but these defo my top 5.

AeroYoshi

Disgust
Supporter
Suikoden 2 & the entire Pokémon Mystery Dungeon OST. If I had to pick a favorite, it'd be this one.

3-UP

Team
BL/ρ♭
Switch
7940-7626-0308
The only Sonic games I've played are the Classic series, Secret Rings and recently Generations, but I found myself listening tracks from a lot of other games in the series. No matter the quality of the games, there's usually a banger soundtrack

Joris

CT Creator
Supporter
Team
GX/APE/CM
Wiimmfi
4172-1213-5798
This is just beautiful.. It perfectly gives the feeling of a remote town in the middle of nowhere, a quite little town where nothing ever happens. Gotta love professor layton games in general and especially the storylines and major plottwists ;) This tune is from The Azran Legacy, one of my favorite Professor Layton games.

This heartbreaking tune is a close second, it plays *SPOILER ALERT* during puzzle 100, right after you lost Randall, your best friend who loved archeology and was extremely hyped to discover the secrets of the Azran and thus to solve this final puzzle, but he doesn't make the last jump so you have to do this last puzzle yourself... Amazing game... It's called The Miracle Mask by the way :)

Nozzles

I need new ways to waste my time
Supporter
NNID
Nozzles
Wiimmfi
2024-6381-6667
I'm also gonna try doing a top 5, in no particular order:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword:

Like I typically do, I put off playing this game for a while. I wasn't a fan of the motion controls, and it ultimately led to me quitting multiple times. Last year, I finally decided to suck it up and play all the way through; and I am really glad that I did. Apart from the story and the graphics, the music was easily my favorite aspect of this game. Every new area featured a different tone and aesthetic and the music pieces complimented each new area very well. It's a shame, because this game is often regarded as one of the worst console Zelda's, though I can definitely rank it within my top 3. I just wish I had played through it and given it a chance earlier.

Runescape:

This game has been a large part of my [gaming] life for years, yeeears; and almost all, if not all, of the music featured on the "old school" version of this game has remained unchanged since it's implementation in 2004. The main company, Jagex, has done an amazing job with the music in this game, with nearly 600 different music tracks, and really gave it a very clear and distinct sound. Many of the different songs on this game hold a prominent nostalgia factor for me; and they bring me back to childhood pretty hard.

Maplestory:

This game is a tragedy nowadays, riddled with ridiculous and overwhelming aspects of "pay 2 win" foolishness. However, even if the game has completely changed and turned sour, the music is quite literally the only thing about this game that has never changed since its release. This is one of the few online games that I almost always played with in-game sound on. That is purely because of just how relaxing and easy to listen to the music in this game was. It really is a shame, but it is what it is.

The Sims:

For such a silly, cartoony game, this game had some brilliant and heavy piano-based music. Looking back at it now, the music actually didn't even really fit with the game's aesthetics whatsoever lol. Though, regardless of that, this game's music easily outweighs all of the other music in later installments of this franchise in my opinion. Really easy to listen to, and great for just having some calm background noise.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony:

This one is just a single-track favorite. This is very likely, if I had to pick one song, my favorite video game track of all time. I even strongly adore the remixed version, "Bramble Blast," which is featured on Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In my own opinion, everything about this track is great: it has a good beat, it has strong ease of listening, it fits the style of the game wonderfully, etc. There are still a few songs that definitely come close to being my #1 track; but this one for sure stands above.

As stated on the same thread on old MKBoards, I also have a playlist with 500+ songs on it from various games that I like to listen to when I don't feel like listening to regular music.

elec

Team
k`s gays
Switch
imagine paying
Wiimmfi
3440-6281-9760
how has no one mentioned touhou yet???? there may be a bad apple but there is no such thing as a bad touhou song. just take a listen to my favorite ost of the 20+ touhou games out there.

also special shoutout to metroid and fire emblem for having good osts too, especially super metroid and genealogy's.