• Staff are currently aware of users being unable to register for the site; we are deeply sorry and working fast to help to fix it. Join the official MKB discord server here, make a support ticket, and provide your preferred email and username.
  • Donate to keep our site running in the future. For more information, click here
  • The Media Staff Team is recruiting and our applications are open! Check this thread for more details!
  • MarioKartBoards Media Outlets: YouTube // Twitch // 2nd Twitch // Twitter

VR Search

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Truth is stranger than fiction
Supporter
Team
UHDR7T7 - Maidvelia Serial Number
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102

Reviving this topic on our new domain, as I made a podcast on the issue where a newer player, myself, and Emil talk about the exact problems Bean outlined in the image as well as some other things (such as very unbalanced item interactions).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/381868735 (the Twitch VOD has the chat replay with more opinions on the matter)

In addition to this podcast, a survey was conducted in November 2018 on how people feel about matchmaking where VR is considered.

Here were the results (839 people responded to it):

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...zpGyRcGgd0tStECuxJygDCwwHOluRQw/viewanalytics

Would like to see people's opinions on the points brought up in the podcast and the results of the poll.

Last edited:

ChromaKey

VR search would be amazing. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a good WW and then have it ruined because Mr. 4400 VR hogs all the power items and messes up the strategy for the experienced players. The worst part is that they rarely take the hint and leave. It's even better when they get lapped and hit you with a star or bullet. It's frustrating and I'd love to see VR search become a thing.

OP
~Maidvelia❤︎~

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Supporter
Team
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Thread Starter #3

Here we have a room that is actually balanced but for some reason a 9.6K VR player was able to get into it.

This kind of room for 5K-6.5K is fine because between those ranges there is not much of a varying degree of skill and the items will be distributed naturally. The outlier here is the 9.6K player who will take every single blue shell.

The small variance of skill for low VR ranges is why I think tiered is the best approach. I will expand on this post in a bit.

OP
~Maidvelia❤︎~

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Supporter
Team
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Thread Starter #4
Opinions on new VR search algorithm idea by 255MP?:

Player's Current VR > Avg. VR of room = player gets higher priority to join that room
Player's Current VR < Avg. VR of room = player gets lower priority to join that room

I would actually aim for custom world wide rooms where people can join manually.

Like in CSS. You can either make a private room for mogis or frooms or create a ww room manually where people can join manually. Just scrolling through the list.

Something like that

OP
~Maidvelia❤︎~

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Supporter
Team
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717