Mel

Team
$parta
NNID
Mel-zelda
Switch
1669-9198-5389
INTRODUCTION:

The .brlyt format is used to store layout data, mostly colors/transparency and the translation/rotation/size of various elements in the game (usually .tpl files).
Similar to most files in this game they can be found in .szs files. I would recommend using SZS Explorer to extract them.

Please keep in mind that this tutorial is based entirely on my personal knowledge.

Here's a video showcasing what i've achieved through .brlyt and .tpl edits:

shoutout to Wingcapman for helping me and Mάd for the cool BB texture.

TOOLS:

• Benzin [LINK] : Converts .brlyt files into .xmlyt (xml) files that can be edited using a text editor. [Text-only]

• LayoutStudio: Reads and edits .brlyt files directly. [Has a GUI / Can't be compiled under Windows (I'm not entierly sure but I think its meant to be used under Linux)]

• Wii Layout Editor: Reads and edits .brlyt files directly. [Has a GUI / Requires the entire folder containing the .brlyt file you want to edit to be extracted]

BENZIN:

Benzin requires CMD in order to be used, there are many ways to run a program under CMD however I would recommend to simply put a copy of CMD in the same folder as Benzin.
You also want to make sure your .brlyt file is in the same folder otherwise Benzin won't find it.
Once you're set open up CMD and you'll be greeted with a black window in which you can type two commands:

• benzin r filename.brlyt filename.xmlyt

• benzin m filename.xmlyt filename.brlyt

The first command will convert your .brlyt file into an .xmlyt one while the other command does the opposite.

.xmlyt files can be opened and edited with any program that supports the .xml format.

LIST OF KNOWN USEFUL XMLYT LINES:

---------------------------------------------------
Translation:
Coordinates/location on screen (for textures it just stretches them)
Rotation: Degree of the rotation
Scaling: Size

.tpl files linked to the .brlyt (not recommended to edit)

<entries>
<name>filename.tpl</name>
<name>filename02.tpl</name>
<name>filename03.tpl</name>
</entries>

Texture informations (not recommended to edit)

<texture name="filename.tpl">
<wrap_s>GX_CLAMP</wrap_s>
<wrap_t>GX_CLAMP</wrap_t>
</texture>
<TextureSRT>
<XTrans>0.0000000000</XTrans>
<YTrans>0.0000000000</YTrans>
<Rotate>0.0000000000</Rotate>
<XScale>1.0000000000</XScale>
<YScale>1.0000000000</YScale>
</TextureSRT>

EDITABLE XMLYT LINES:

" <tag type="pan1" name="RootPane" userdata=""> "

Anything below this line will follow the same pattern:

<tag type="tagtype" name="name" userdata=""> [tagtype is set to "pic1" or "pan1" most of the time / name can be anything, it'll never be the name of the .tpl file it's linked to though, which can be confusing. However it's not hard to figure out because most of the time the name will be self explanatory. [example] ] (not recommended to edit)
<visible>01</visible>
<WidescreenAffected>00</WidescreenAffected>
<flag>00</flag>
<origin x="origin" y="origin" /> [origin is set to "Left" , "Right" , "Center" most of the time]
<alpha>transparency</alpha> [transparency is set to "ff" most of the time] (FF is no transparency, 00 is invisible)
<padding>00</padding>
<translate>
<x>xvalue</x> [xvalue can be anything, it's never the same] (Changing this value allows to change the horizontal location of the .tpl on the screen)
<y>yvalue</y> [yvalue can be anything, it's never the same] (Changing this value allows to change the vertical location of the .tpl on the screen)
<z>zvalue</z> [zvalue is set to "1800.00000000000000000000" or "-1800.00000000000000000000" most of the time] (Changing this value allows to change the depth of the .tpl on the screen. If 2 .tpl are on top of each other changing this value allow to decide which one is behind or above the other)
</translate>
<rotate>
<x>xvalue</x> [xvalue can be anything, it's never the same] (Changing this value allows to rotate the .tpl)
<y>yvalue</y> [yvalue can be anything, it's never the same] (not recommended to dit)
<z>zvalue</z> [zvalue is set to "1800.00000000000000000000" or "-1800.00000000000000000000" most of the time] (Changing this value allows to change the depth of the .tpl on the screen. If 2 .tpl are on top of each other changing this value allows to decide which one is behind or above the other)
</rotate>
<scale>
<x>xvalue</x> [xvalue can be anything, it's never the same] (I would recommend using 1.0)
<y>yvalue</y> [yvalue can be anything, it's never the same] (I would recommend using 1.0)
</scale>
<size>
<width>widthvalue</width> [widthvalue can be anything, it's never the same] (If you've changed the .tpl size through SZS Explorer then change this value to it's new width. If not don't change it)
<height>heightvalue</height> [heightvalue can be anything, it's never the same] (If you've changed the .tpl size through SZS Explorer then change this value to it's new height. If not don't change it)
</size>

This is all you need to know in order to edit .brlyt files. There is no tutorial for Wii Layout Editor or LayoutStudio because they are exactly like Benzin just with an interface.
This tutorial is probably lacking informations and I am sorry about it but my knowledge stops there.

Hopefully some people will find this tutorial useful and create awesome modifications to the game.
Just keep in mind that it takes a lot of time and patience because you need to practice and do a lot of testing (I would recommend using Dolphin to make things quicker). Just so you get an idea, what is in the video above took me an entire week to make (spending an average 6 hours per-day on Benzin & a text editor (mostly)/SZS Explorer/Photoshop).

HOW TO RESIZE A .TPL FILE WITHOUT CORRUPTING THE ENTIRE .SZS FILE:

I thought i'd explain this part because I have done it in the video and it's very useful if you're doing .brlyt edits.

Using SZS Explorer:

-> Find a .tpl thats big (I've been using tt_clacon_body.tpl for everything shown in the video (it can be found in Race.szs in the folder pad_recognize/timg))
-> Right click the big .tpl and choose Export
-> Save it somewhere you can find it easily
-> Find the .tpl you want to make bigger and right click on it, choose Replace
-> Replace it with the big .tpl and you're done

I would recommend tt_clacon_body.tpl or anything of the same size because 256x256 covers a big part of the screen (the game runs at 480p).
There's also a "resize" function if you open the .tpl but it will corrupt the file which is why I recommend following the steps above.

I know this tutorial isn't the most polished thing in the world and its pretty confusing but editing .brlyt files is really confusing so I've tried my best to make it as clear as possible.

I won't provide any links for Benzin/WLE/LS/SZSEXP because I have no idea if linking hacking softwares is against the rules of this site.

If anybody has more informations on how to .brlyt files please tell me i'll be sure to add it in the post.

I hope some of you will be able to make use of this tutorial :)