• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

Soft drifting guides?

Dorifto

Hi, i have been grinding out time trials for about a month now on bone dry dunes on 200cc. Managed to whittle my time down from a 1:30 to a 1:23:835.
Now i have hit a block. I cannot beat my time at all, and other than sucking on the first skip over the first turn, my runs dont feel optimized. A strat that i want to get down is after busting the shroom at the end of the shortcut, softdrifting to the orange turbo, and going off that. Currently if i want a good line i have to go blue, but if i go orange then i have to go super wide and take a terrible line. But if i try to soft drift up, i keep on getting blue.
Does anyone know if theres some sheet giving off the angles to get a softdrift? I keep on getting all different answers to the softdrift angle. Even heard that it varies by kart. Im running on this map with mid weight mii, rollers, and AC glider.

OP
D

Dorifto

Thread Starter #3
ok first of all good time,

try starting your drift a bit early
Nah, im convinced this is impossible if you want orange without softdrifting. 3 things happened
I ended up hitting way to far in. unless you get the jump perfect and manage to jump the whole curb, over the quicksand, without bonking which i have never seen or done. The other one is you end up going way to wide and lose a lot more time vs getting a blue boost. Last thing that happened was trying to set up the line was stupid difficult and resulted in an unoptimal line, or a running into the sand setting up the line.
I practiced a bit and i think i got a feel for the softdrift. I tried going after the shortcut and had one really good run of 1:24:082 with a messed up curb hop on the first lap. The difference of softdrift through the shortcut with orange vs blue and no softdrift is nuts on how fast you can get moving

Mister Wu

This is a tricky question, for two reasons you can see here:

https://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8_Deluxe_in-game_statistics#Mini-Turbo_.28MT.29

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has been confirmed to work with the boost counter just like Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8. This means that as soon as a drift is started, a value starts to increase each frame until a threshold is reached, at which point you either see blue sparks coming out of the tires (half of the MT threshold has been reached) or you charge a level of Mini-Turbo (Mini-Turbo, Super Mini-Turbo, Ultra Mini-Turbo). In Mario Kart 8, the thresholds were 135 units for the blue sparks to appear, 270 units for the Mini-Turbo to be charged, 570 units for the Super Mini-Turbo to be charged.

First of all, in Mario kart 8 Deluxe the thresholds change with the MT statistics, so combinations with a higher MT statistics need less units to charge the various Mini-Turbo levels.

Secondly the charge rate now can vary a lot more than before: in Mario Kart 8 we had basically two charging rates, one when the lateral component of the input was less than 0.5 in the direction of the turn, which was 2 units per frame (0.8 when autodrifting) the other when the lateral component of the directional input was more than 0.5 in the direction of the turn, which was 5 units per frame (2 units per frame when autodrifting).
This also means that the softdrift "angles" are not really angles, you can also keep the controller stick just slightly on the right and still achieve maximum charging rate. Since arc cos (0.5) is 60°, most people playing Mario Kart 8 preferred keeping the stick fully tilted and at an angle of 60° with respect to the horizontal axis, leading to this concept of softdrift "angle".
With Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, this became a lot more complicated: the maximum charging rate while drifting is still 5 units per frame (2 units per frame when autodrifting), but the charge rate now seems to continuosly vary depending on the lateral component of the directional input. As if that wasn't enough, there are unknown Mini-Turbo related stats which might actually influence how this lateral component affects the charging rate. Intriguingly, there's three of them, each with different values, which would confirm how the charging rate changes depending on the Mini-Turbo level reached, furthermore, the more you increase the MT stat, the more it decreses, leading me to believe they might be some sort of minimum lateral input needed to start increasing the charge rate from the base value, I'd need someone to test these claims with precise frame by frame analysis, though.