• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

So why did you make a new site again?

Eric

Why am I here?
Supporter
Team
None
Switch
0022-0027-5937
What exactly has this "move" accomplished other than make activity plummet even further? I'm still livid that mariokartwii.com was taken down so abruptly. The fact that the community never took the game seriously enough to preserve such an important part of its history is baffling. You take the game seriously in that you fixate on war scores, but the stuff that actually matters is brushed aside. Instead of learning from your mistakes, you are deleting the current site—I guess I should say the former site—for literally no reason. It's infuriating.

I'm mad that I wasted so many hours contributing to a community that doesn't even have the brains to preserve its own history. You don't care, so why should anybody else? Why should the general public take Mario Kart Wii seriously when the community don't even take itself seriously?

Kona

Supporter
It's accomplished much more than that.

They attempted moving the old site to a new server, which solved little to none of the problems. The reason that people like you and I would be ignorant toward the problems of the old site is because, well, we aren't administrators.

Those are the problems that the old site had.

XenForo (the company which runs both MKBoards and MarioKartBoards) literally suggested that MKBoards should start over.

I promise you that these changes were not for "literally no reason."

Harmonia

Fire Blue
Supporter

They attempted moving the old site to a new server, which solved little to none of the problems. The reason that people like you and I would be ignorant toward the problems of the old site is because, well, we aren't administrators.

XenForo (the company which runs both MKBoards and MarioKartBoards) literally suggested that MKBoards should start over.

I don't think that's the point he's getting at. I read it more like "why are we taking it completely offline for no reason?" Sure, it would cost money to keep it up, but someone should care enough to preserve the history, no? There are so many dead forums and sites still up for reasons like that.

Kona

Supporter
I don't think that's the point he's getting at. I read it more like "why are we taking it completely offline for no reason?" Sure, it would cost money to keep it up, but someone should care enough to preserve the history, no? There are so many dead forums and sites still up for reasons like that.
I see. That's where I agree- the whole mariokartwii.com thing was really irritating because there was 8 years of posts on there. I'm just curious as to how much it would cost to keep MKBoards archived. You're right, someone should care enough to preserve that

Harmonia

Fire Blue
Supporter
I see. That's where I agree- the whole mariokartwii.com thing was really irritating because there was 8 years of posts on there. I'm just curious as to how much it would cost to keep MKBoards archived. You're right, someone should care enough to preserve that
yeah. I think even though mkw.com was dead the admins kept it up for over a year until Brent[?] didn't care anymore. the move was completely necessary, iirc the Xenforo support team even said it's best that a new site was made, but I really wish MKBoards wasn't going down like mkw.com.

Kona

Supporter
yeah. I think even though mkw.com was dead the admins kept it up for over a year until Brent[?] didn't care anymore. the move was completely necessary, iirc the Xenforo support team even said it's best that a new site was made, but I really wish MKBoards wasn't going down like mkw.com.
Yeah I mentioned the XenForo suggestion in my original reply. It was indeed necessary. I will admit that it's a bit absurd that the admins here say that we can just "move everything over"... as if it isn't 5 years of posts or something.

OP
Eric

Eric

Why am I here?
Supporter
Team
None
Switch
0022-0027-5937
Thread Starter #8

These are all minor technical problems that can be fixed. Do you know what can't be fixed? Permanently deleting 6+ years worth of history. While the old site did indeed contain bugs, the "problems" you speak of were so insignificant to the average user. Other than that pesky "having" glitch, I never encountered any myself. Furthermore, there are ways to migrate forums over to new hosts without deleting the entire website. Here's the real answer: It was easier to nuke everything and start over than sit down and spend time troubleshooting. Their laziness is the reason we're losing Mario Kart's archived history for a second time, and why there are two forums.

I don't care if they talked to some random customer service representative who isn't privy to our background as a community. The first advice you get isn't always the best—in fact, it usually isn't. Get a second opinion. Why not contact the server host and ask them for help? Why not consult a third-party? Had they made more of an effort instead of taking the very first advice given to them, maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The fact of the matter is that the community gave them feedback and they chose to ignore it in favor of the easier/cheaper solution. You can't just give up and throw everything away when you encounter a difficult problem. That's what a child does, which I guess is merely a reflection of the community itself...

Stunky

Triple OwO
Banned
These are all minor technical problems that can be fixed. Do you know what can't be fixed? Permanently deleting 6+ years worth of history. While the old site did indeed contain bugs, the "problems" you speak of were so insignificant to the average user. Other than that pesky "having" glitch, I never encountered any myself. Furthermore, there are ways to migrate forums over to new hosts without deleting the entire website. Here's the real answer: It was easier to nuke everything and start over than sit down and spend time troubleshooting. Their laziness is the reason we're losing Mario Kart's archived history for a second time, and why there are two forums.

I don't care if they talked to some random customer service representative who isn't privy to our background as a community. The first advice you get isn't always the best—in fact, it usually isn't. Get a second opinion. Why not contact the server host and ask them for help? Why not consult a third-party? Had they made more of an effort instead of taking the very first advice given to them, maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The fact of the matter is that the community gave them feedback and they chose to ignore it in favor of the easier/cheaper solution. You can't just give up and throw everything away when you encounter a difficult problem. That's what a child does, which I guess is merely a reflection of the community itself...
Whereas I agree it's not ideal that we've had to say goodbye to the old site against the community view (heck, I was one of the many who wanted to stay in that poll), we have to realise that the poll came in September 2017, and the decision to change anything came about 8 months after following a number of further bugs and issues that we simply didn't have at the original point of polling (the move was somewhat forced in a way by these issues), and the vast number of support options decided that our only possible option was to move. It's obviously not what many people wanted, many just wanted a site with no bugs, but the back-end was getting absolutely unsafe to work with, forcing rebuilds and stuff even if it allowed you to make nodes, themes etc. to begin with., and by that point it'd been probably the best part of a year if not more that we'd been asking for support and trying solutions. It wasn't what was wanted, it was what had to occur for the long term benefit of the community. The server hosts said we weren't recovering it, the XenForo support said the issues required fresh installs, I believe Beto even had additional parties review some of the bugs and they came to the conclusion that irreplaceable files like the databases must've been corrupt and thus we'd have lost everything even trying to fix it. We did try.

When it comes to backing up the site I can't personally promise miracles where everyone gets every role back, profile pictures stay etc., but be aware that Beto gave me FTP access some months ago and I've been taking backups over time (including one today which we'll probably have as the final copy), and (once time does open up) I'll be trying to see if there's any way we can get the site up in a more concise form that may not require any form of unneeded renewal costs (when it comes to forum software, plugins etc.). Just know that it's not going to be forgotten, we're just looking for more efficient ways to preserve the history.

We've hit a number of bumps in recent months that mean progression hasn't been the way the original plan would've liked. Low turnouts for some openings, the loss of certain revenues as others move (I don't believe the loss to be significant enough to immediately impact this site's survival, but it's significant enough and recent enough where it has to be monitored in case so as we don't throw money at projects we can't afford), we lost most of our original staff team at a point where the 1 or 2 we retained were still in trial phases, even now some of the more recent moderator acquisitions would be in the preliminary month.

Basically we're making progress, but none of it is currently visible. It's not been forgotten, and we hope that some things will have breakthroughs over the next few weeks, but we've had setbacks that the original group's few meetings (mainly done around the start of August just prior to moving) led to suggestions we've now struggled to do without the resources. As we continue to establish a clear grasp on our resources, more and more will be able to be done, but for some ideas it's a case where the original plans need to go back to the drawing board, others are programming projects Beto's working on but take time, and others we've got to wait until finances are openly available. It's not the comfortable move we hoped for, but we're on our way to try and stabilise to get there.

BetoMan

professional c dio boia supporter
Administrator
Supporter
Team
Battle Alliance
NNID
betoman996
Congratulations, you've been brave enough to arrive until this post. It's been though but let's try to do a summary that underlines some key points:

It's infuriating.
I am so sorry

These are all minor technical problems that can be fixed.
Oh, that's great. Please send an email to [email protected] and give us more details. I am sure that you have an exhaustive explaination of what's going on and, for this reason, I invite you to write an email here (https://xenforo.com/contact/) telling them how to fix their issues. I have opened some tickets about the issues that we've encountered; the xenforo developer staff will be happy to use your skills to improve their service

Why not contact the server host and ask them for help?
I have been in contact with both (Xenforo customer service and the hosting company) for quite a long time. We've managed, for example, to find what was the cause if the "unavailable website" issue (link).

We've been trying to solve the problem and multiple people were involved, including me and flc. This is not your business and you should stay in your own. I don't have to show to the public the emails and the other stuff we have made to solve this problem. Yes, you may say that I'm lying or you may say that I'm saying the truth but this will bring us nowhere.

Had they made more of an effort instead of taking the very first advice given to them, maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Here's where you completely fail and you show how nonsense are your words. You should have proofs in your hands (that you clearly don't have) before speaking. If you were clever enough to understand that you cannot write a post based on your assumptions, we wouldn't be here. We've taken this decision after some time, after some considerations and after being sure that there weren't techincal possibilities.

If you have a lot of energies and time, you could try to help us with this project instead of starting this kind of threads. I am sure that if you put the same effort you've put while writing this, you would be able to do great improvements. And to cite you:

That's what a child does,
Yes, exactly. Like a child, you are complaining about the toy that's broken and some bad guys have replaced it with a new one that you don't want, because you wanted the old one. At the bottom you can probably understand, if you want, that mkboards (the website) won't disappear forever. I invite you to read your posts again and try to question if what you have written has a solid basis or not.

in favor of the easier/cheaper solution
Still, you cannot write a post based on your assumptions; it hasn't been a cheap solutions (in terms of money (most of all), time and effort).

As a side note. We have a backup of mkboards which is the database + the website itself but these 2 pieces are pretty big and we are not putting them here. We are trying to find a cheap solution and place mkb somewhere in a readonly state. Hosting a website like this, which has a lot of traffic and contents, is expensive and for this reason we want to take down www.mkboards.com completely.
Actually www.mkboards.com will become a redirect to this website. The old website will be placed somewhere where the cost is little, something that's not at the moment where it is. Moving websites is possible, as this fabolous sentence states:

Furthermore, there are ways to migrate forums over to new hosts without deleting the entire website
So yeah, we can say that his insight has been sparky enough to guess what the correct solution can be. We haven't said anything about it because we still do not know exactly what to do but in the future we'll update you. I am sorry if we have threatened your souls so much but don't worry, mkboards will be next to you for a long time.

Toadie

What matters so much to preserve? As you said, there's like 10 years of posts! MKW. com died as the admins didn't renew the domain name, right? There's not much a community can do when it comes to that.

Team
EQ, AM, 00I, SA
Wiimmfi
1593-4209-3300
I recognize that the old site had problems, but I hate to see history disappear. We are technically a retro gaming community, so I take it history matters to many of us.

BetoMan

Administrator
Supporter
Team
Battle Alliance
NNID
betoman996
We've managed to find out how to keep mkboards.com alive without having to spend extra money. It will stay as it is (same url too) so that people can check it at any time and enjoy all the drama, memes and 2014 competitive clan wars. We'll give more details later

I thought mkboards was being deleted at the end of this month though?
If possible you should archive it as it did have plenty of years of memories for people.
I wish I was able to archive mkw.com too while I was running it but, The site shut down very randomly under The owners order (Rex) Brent was well long gone

Team
EQ, AM, 00I, SA
Wiimmfi
1593-4209-3300
Mankalor's item probability tables will end up being gone too, as they were only posted there. Ergo, his videos which reference the tables will now link to a non-existent site. They're sort of what made me aware of the site in the first place.

BetoMan

Administrator
Supporter
Team
Battle Alliance
NNID
betoman996
Mankalor's item probability tables will end up being gone too, as they were only posted there. Ergo, his videos which reference the tables will now link to a non-existent site. They're sort of what made me aware of the site in the first place.
Have you read my latest post? I've said that mkboards won't be deleted so those references will not die