• As the result of a recent incident in the United States, many protests have come to life because of constant racism. Please read this thread if you'd like to help and learn more!
  • Donate to keep our site running in the future. For more information, click here
  • We have recently made a lot of site changes we'd like you to know about! Find out all the information here!
  • MarioKartBoards Media Outlets: YouTube // Twitch // 2nd Twitch // Twitter // Facebook

Site Policy Changes + Donations

Tea

Administrator
Administrator
MKPS Staff
WL Staff
Media Staff
Hello,

Just a quick update that we have updated our site policy. You can read over it, but I’ll lay out the major changes:
  • Off-site offenses will not be dealt with, unless there is a case of extreme harassment, sexual harassment, or illegal activities
  • We’re going to be a lot stricter in our affiliated servers (MKPS, league servers, lounge, etc.) and in direct messages in order to stomp out toxicity and bettering behavior among our users.
  • Thread bans are going to be used less for general discussion posts. We’ll still give out infractions users if they post inappropriately by breaking the rules, but we believe that everyone should have a say in forum posts.
  • Updated wording to make it more professional.
If there are any questions regarding the changes, please respond to this thread.

This next announcement is a very important one. Because of the departure of the Mario Kart 8 community, our financial situation has been extremely bad as of late. This past year we didn’t have enough money to pay for hosting the site, leaving the administrators at the time to pay for it. However, if we don’t make it this year, we cannot guarantee that the website will continue. This is because the site isn’t earning enough revenue in order to justify paying for the site year after year. It is only $160, so type of support would be greatly appreciated a ton.

Here are some of the ways you can help:
Donations:
This is the main way you can help. Here is the link where you can donate. It goes 100% to our site.

Disabling Ad-Block:
We also run on ad money as well. If you have ad-block, please disable it for the website. We only run a few ads on the website, so it shouldn’t be too much of a distraction.

Subscribing to our YouTube/Twitch:
This is another great way to support us. We have almost hit the 1000 subscriber mark to our YouTube channel, which allows us to monetize our content. This will be another way we’re going to generate revenue towards the site, as well as subscribing to Twitch.

Additionally, we’ll be working on features to incentivize donating to our site and Twitch channel in the near future.

Thank you for reading this thread,
Tea, Mystic, and the MarioKartBoards Staff

OP
Tea

Tea

Administrator
Administrator
MKPS Staff
WL Staff
Media Staff
Thread Starter #3
Ill be able to donate Friday when I get paid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble financially after all the work youve done, Tea.
Thank you so much!

Crash.

Supporter
Team
Your Mom's bed
Hello,
  • We’re going to be a lot stricter in our affiliated servers (MKPS, league servers, lounge, etc.) and in direct messages in order to stomp out toxicity and bettering behavior among our users.
Thought I take a lovely stroll through this thread just to post this.

Harmonia

Fire Blue
Supporter
This is definitely going to sound controversial and perhaps it isn't my place to speak about it since I've been inactive in the community for years now but from my perspective I'm starting to wonder if a forum is even necessary anymore.

It seems like every year or so the struggle to keep up with server costs pops up again, and activity in the forum has decreased drastically since the switch to the new site, where it was already slowly dwindling due to the rise of Discord, and the loss of the Mario Kart 8 community.

The obvious reason to keep the site up is to preserve history (WL and other tournament results mainly) but considering 95% of the community's history was already lost in the switch from the old site and the shutdown of mariokartwii.com, can't it all just be kept to Discord at this point? It doesn't seem practical to keep paying to continue running an inactive site especially with the consistent lack of revenue and subsequent struggle to make the payments. Additionally, with no public word on the progress of the mariokartwii.com and old MKBoards backups that BetoMan promised in August of last year, it just looks easier to archive everything important from here on the Discord server and shut the forum down.

OP
Tea

Tea

Administrator
Administrator
MKPS Staff
WL Staff
Media Staff
Thread Starter #7
This is definitely going to sound controversial and perhaps it isn't my place to speak about it since I've been inactive in the community for years now but from my perspective I'm starting to wonder if a forum is even necessary anymore.

It seems like every year or so the struggle to keep up with server costs pops up again, and activity in the forum has decreased drastically since the switch to the new site, where it was already slowly dwindling due to the rise of Discord, and the loss of the Mario Kart 8 community.

The obvious reason to keep the site up is to preserve history (WL and other tournament results mainly) but considering 95% of the community's history was already lost in the switch from the old site and the shutdown of mariokartwii.com, can't it all just be kept to Discord at this point? It doesn't seem practical to keep paying to continue running an inactive site especially with the consistent lack of revenue and subsequent struggle to make the payments. Additionally, with no public word on the progress of the mariokartwii.com and old MKBoards backups that BetoMan promised in August of last year, it just looks easier to archive everything important from here on the Discord server and shut the forum down.
I've been keeping an archive of CSL/WL on my laptop to ensure something like this won't happen again. As for the old websites, I'll talk to Beto about it, but the best way to access those sites are through the WayBackMachine.

Harmonia

Fire Blue
Supporter
I've been keeping an archive of CSL/WL on my laptop to ensure something like this won't happen again. As for the old websites, I'll talk to Beto about it, but the best way to access those sites are through the WayBackMachine.
I'm aware of the Wayback Machine, the reason I brought up the archive though is because that promise being fulfilled would give more of an incentive to keep this site running.

OP
Tea

Tea

Administrator
Administrator
MKPS Staff
WL Staff
Media Staff
Thread Starter #9
I'm aware of the Wayback Machine, the reason I brought up the archive though is because that promise being fulfilled would give more of an incentive to keep this site running.
That's understandable. If we are unable to do that, I'll do something to archive as much as possible from the WBM and bring it here and Discord.

Crash.

Supporter
Team
Your Mom's bed
I'll say this about the matter. We're fine with trash-talking among players, but we do not condone anything that insults or harasses members.
I do believe you have contradicted what is allowed and not here. Isn't trash talking the same as insults? I get where your going with the harassment part.

Harmonia

Fire Blue
Supporter
I do believe you have contradicted what is allowed and not here. Isn't trash talking the same as insults? I get where your going with the harassment part.
I think the difference is trash talk shouldn't be insulting one's character outside of the game's context.

Saying someone sucks at Mario Kart isn't the same as calling someone r*tarded for example. Like I said it comes down to context though, but generally trash talk is meaningless in the long run.

OP
Tea

Tea

Administrator
Administrator
MKPS Staff
WL Staff
Media Staff
Thread Starter #12
Basically what Harm said. Anything outside of the game is crossing the line.