• We have recently made a lot of site changes we'd like you to know about! Find out all the information here!
  • Donate to keep our site running in the future. For more information, click here
  • MarioKartBoards Media Outlets: YouTube // Twitch // 2nd Twitch // Twitter // Facebook

[S16] WL Division Format

Choose a Division Format for Season 16

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Articuno

Love, although it fades, it never gives up on you.
MKPS Staff
WL Staff
Lounge Staff
Supporter
Team
EXO // EA
Sorry for double post

Need to have off season tournies like double elimination instead of el which will pretty much be the same. Having to wait a few months for a season means have less of same teams around all get messy with seedlings potentially.
That may be a plan for future seasons, we haven’t really discussed it much but if it does happen through WL, we’ll notify the community about one towards the end of the seasons.

Feel free to make your own small weekend tournaments if you wish.

s'

Media Staff
Team
Extend Ash
If you don't want placement to directly determine division (which is the only way to have no playoffs work because then you have something else to shoot for other than 1st), I suggest the conference format.
ok but how is this related to relegation/promotion

OP
~Maidvelia❤︎~

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Achieving goals from the sidelines
Supporter
Team
R7, U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Thread Starter #25
ok but how is this related to relegation/promotion
Place 1st: You are promoted up to the next division for the following season
Place 2nd: You are promoted up to the next division
Place 3rd: You are neither promoted or relegated, you play in the same division for the following season
Place 4th: Same as 3rd
Place 5th: You are demoted down to the next division for the following season
Place 6th: You are demoted down to the next division
How does it not have to do with it? What are you even asking?

OP
~Maidvelia❤︎~

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Supporter
Team
R7, U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Thread Starter #29
how is what determines getting first related to the fact that relegation/promotion just won't work
What's related to promotion theoretically "not working" is poor team management as I've said. But it's not rocket science to keep a roster consistent (several people in the community have done it and should be examples to learn from).

And if you want money in the league, first mentalities have to shape up. The prize pools come after that.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, DM me on Discord. Conference format is probably going to win where promotion/relegation is going to be way less of a factor in having the structure work (as in we basically don't even need it for it to work).

OP
~Maidvelia❤︎~

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Supporter
Team
R7, U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Thread Starter #31
yeah real talk no one cares about promotion/demotion, it’s about that banner
Good for them, staff care about pushing this mentality: "Let's ascend". This league will never settle for mediocrity again.

s'

Media Staff
Team
Extend Ash
What's related to promotion theoretically "not working" is poor team management as I've said. But it's not rocket science to keep a roster consistent (several people in the community have done it and should be examples to learn from).
the reason why promotion/relegation won't work is because people can bring in anyone, if you stay in the same division just because of last season's placement you can just transfer in whoever you feel would stack the team

And if you want money in the league, first mentalities have to shape up. The prize pools come after that.
prize pools weren't what i took into considerations, but players getting played in a professional team. if teams don't have to pay their players you can just bring in anyone, which allows what i stated previously

OP
~Maidvelia❤︎~

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Supporter
Team
R7, U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Thread Starter #33
the reason why promotion/relegation won't work is because people can bring in anyone, if you stay in the same division just because of last season's placement you can just transfer in whoever you feel would stack the team
Stacking wouldn't work. That team would just be promoted even further up. That was stated on my scenario list too so you've been assuming incorrectly.

What won't be happening very much anymore if that format won, is demotion.

s'

Media Staff
Team
Extend Ash
Stacking wouldn't work. That team would just be promoted even further up. That was stated on my scenario list too so you've been assuming incorrectly.

What won't be happening very much anymore if that format won, is demotion.
We gained/lost players and got a middle spot --> same division (keep your team intact or don't play the next season, you earned the same division)
We gained better players and got 6th last season

this rule, not only states nothing against stacking a team, it litterally says you're gonna stay in the same division just because you got 3rd, but it's also contradictive as it commands to keep your team intact, but talks about a case when you lost/gained players

i might've got what you were trying to say but these rules are very unclear and can easily be exploited

OP
~Maidvelia❤︎~

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Supporter
Team
R7, U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Thread Starter #36
this rule, not only states nothing against stacking a team, it litterally says you're gonna stay in the same division just because you got 3rd, but it's also contradictive as it commands to keep your team intact, but talks about a case when you lost/gained players

i might've got what you were trying to say but these rules are very unclear and can easily be exploited
We gained better players and got 1st last season --> promoted even higher if necessary
Was supposed to apply to other placements than 1st, my bad for failing to state that.

And these are NOT part of the ruleset anyway and can't be exploited. They are just the new rule-of-thumb for council seeding teams if the format wins (and right now it isn't). If a problem is found, council will obviously adapt the rule-of-thumb as they see fit.

In essence, you're just worrying about nothing at the moment.

Alex.

WL Staff
Media Staff
bring back bonus point and transfers after week 5
transfers mid season just dont work and in many cases cause issues. It's a lot more fair to the division to have teams set before the season so no team can try stacking after seeings are finalized. I could go into more detail about the problems but theres a good reason on why it was removed.
not council just stating my opinion. you're obviously entitled to your own.