• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

MKW Lounge & Pedophiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello all,

I have received permission to create this topic in advance by site admins so don't bother reporting it, as it has been verified before being posted.

Please also keep in mind, this topic is coming from a collective effort, and not any one person. To protect the identity of the person creating this thread, this thread is being created as a Guest. Any derogatory posts directed at any specific person will be removed and your access to the thread may be revoked.

Today I bring to you awareness of things going on behind the scenes since the pedophilia thread from about 2 months ago. Actions have been taken by a group to ensure the safety of those on Mario Kart Boards, the Mario Kart Community, and Discord. However, we have recently been butting heads with only one individual regarding the safety of those in the community, specifically minors. That member is Valence, the Administrator of the Lounge discord server.

Before I dive into that, however, some background on what I am allowed to release about what has been happening:

1) Discord's Trust and Safety Team have been made aware of the illegal activities that took place. There is currently a full investigation occurring into the matter. It took a lot of time to put the evidence together and to submit everything to them, but after the group went back and forth with them over the course of 3 weeks, enough was provided to them that they felt illegal activities took place and to warrant a full investigation into the matter. The initial report was filed on July 19th, 2019. A full investigation was launched on August 12th, 2019. Yes, it took that long to get everything in order and sent.

2) The group was put together in an effort to ensure the safety of the Mario Kart player base, specifically minors. The group was put together a few days before the initial report was sent.

3) Legal actions may be taken regarding this. However, that's being placed on Discord to handle as nothing occurred here on the forum itself, to our knowledge.

A few things to answer before I dive into the meat of the topic:
a) You mentioned a group a few times, who are they?
More than you know, less than you think. This information will not be disclosed. To my understanding, the group is more of a "We'll call you, don't call us" type of group, as this was how I was contacted and brought in initially as well. This is also why this post is being made as a Guest.

b) Why is everyone going so far with this?
Safety is important. Children especially. You've certainly been watching the news, especially with Epstein and all. This community isn't all adults. You might not be able to understand this, but would you want your child exposed to this kind of stuff in a video game community? Hell no. There is also the fact that these types of things can destroy communities. Many of the people involved in this have ties to the community and want to see the community thrive for as long as possible. Also, there are real legal repercussions from things like this. Inaction or minimal action can have consequences.

c) Ok, got all that, so why the topic?
As stated, Valence has been butting heads over this. He was reached out to by not 1, but 2 different people regarding this. Let's dive into that.

It's almost universally agreed that those who have been caught in the act of pedophilia and such have no place in this community. However, not everyone feels that way, and one in particular is the administrator of the Lounge, Valence.

Below, are logs of a conversation Valence has had with Savannah regarding his refusal to remove pedophiles from Lounge.
Note: Savannah has granted permission for these logs to be posted here.

The conversation speaks for itself, really. Valence is of the opinion that they should be allowed back in because, as he deems it, what they did wasn't as bad as the community disallowing them to play and thus have interactions with minors. I'm truly at a loss for words.

This was reported to Discord's Trust and Safety Team (T&S for short, getting tired of writing it) along with the reports of illicit activities occurring on Discord, and within the report, Valence was cited for not doing enough to ensure the safety of the underage members of the Lounge server. We then reached out to Valence via someone who was not connected to him, although admittedly he is not a fan favorite of this community, however, we worked under the assumption he had dealt with a pedophilia case on mariokartwii.com to which we later learned he had not, to see if this would make a difference and to try a different perspective. We felt that a lot of work was put into Lounge, so he should be granted one final opportunity to rectify things before Discord's T&S Team looks at Lounge and, potentially, sees the server as a liability for the actions of the Administrator. That conversation is as follows:

Note: inviso gave permission for these logs to be posted.

The conversation goes on longer, however, the rest of the conversation isn't relevant. The point of concern here is that Valence has knowingly and willingly allowed people into Lounge who have been banned from this forum, and essentially, this community, for their inappropriate graphical interactions with minors. And he flat out states that he will not do anything to protect anyone unless Discord tells him to.

What's awesome and not awesome to do on Discord

We love playing games with our friends. That is and will continue to be Discord's driving motivation. The relationships, memories, and laughs we experience from gaming are what drive us to create a remarkable product that millions of people use - from small groups of ten friends to extremely large servers where thousands of people can connect.

In order to further this philosophy, we've developed the community guidelines below.

Note - we do not actively monitor and aren’t responsible for any activity or content that is posted; however, we expect server owners, mods, and admins to uphold their servers to these guidelines and we may intervene if community guidelines are not upheld.

THE FOLLOWING IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE AND WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE CONTENT REMOVAL AND ACCOUNT DELETION:

• Doing anything illegal on Discord. This is directly from our Terms of Service. We will take immediate action if you: violate any applicable laws or regulations, or promote or encourage any illegal activity including, but not limited to, hacking, cracking or distribution of pirated software, or cheats or hacks for our or another company or person's Service.
Source: https://discordapp.com/guidelines

Discord's T&S would not take action unless there is solid proof that illegal activities have taken place. From there, they investigate the how and where it happened, and then hand out punishment accordingly. There's no discussing anything with them. They don't ask for your side. This is why they don't take action unless there's evidence without any doubt. Considering the report talked about Lounge, how some of these players are there (and still there), and how it's basically a living liability, there is little doubt that Discord's T&S Team will be investigating Lounge. Discord has removed whole servers if it's deemed a liability for them, and I really don't blame them. Who wants to risk a lawsuit?

So that brings us to here. What are we to do? Conversations with Staff here have been occurring and it's agreed with most of staff that MKBoards will no longer endorse Lounge until this is rectified. Simply put, like said above, it's a liability. Most Staff have agreed to pull out from Lounge until this is fixed, or until the moment if Discord decides to nuke the server should their investigation deem it appropriate/needed, and that's where you come in. Staying in the server will only support the idea of allowing pedophiles to have access to minors. What is being asked of you, the community, is to leave Lounge server, at least for now. You're not being asked to start fights or anything of the sort, though you're more than welcome to express your opinion on the matter before leaving. And honestly, you can always join back when this is rectified. After speaking with Betoman, he is in full agreement with this course of action. He agrees that these members have no place in Lounge or in the community any longer.

I'd like to conclude with once more stating that this is not the opinion of one, but the opinion of those who have been investigating this matter and, from behind the scenes, supporting this community to make it as safe as possible, and we need your help in that. This entire thread is a compilation of the group looking into this and from those on the outside to give perspective.

We thank you for your support in this matter. We sincerely hope the members of this community can come together and help make this community a better place.

Thank you again.

Sky9

EL Staff
Team
λρ ~ λρocalypse / sσρ ~ Succeed or Perish
Why are they in lounge to begin with? That's my question
We are deleting lounge today Sky9th command ith the

Team
SY
pedophile is the wrong label for the people you are referring to (pedophile is the attraction to kids before puberty)
i obviously do not support sending nude pics to the underage or whatever else falls in the same category and i think those people deserve to be chat restricted, but not banned in lounge. it is indeed illegal to send nudes to someone under 18 however it is not pedophilia and if the person is caught it is not what they will be charged with
if you truly dislike someone's actions, report them and try to get them into legal trouble
discord has an age limit for a reason, i believe 13, because you have to be mature enough to deal with it on your own
dont get me wrong im not at all defending anyone who sent their nudes or asked the underage for theirs, however, i know i will probably ruin my reputation by saying this, but in my opinion this isnt as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be

if anyone gets in trouble for staying in the lounge server, thats bullshit. it wont happen

Articuno

Love, although it fades, it never gives up on you.
WL Staff
Lounge Staff
Supporter
Team
EXO // βc
Staying in the server will only support the idea of allowing pedophiles to have access to minors.
You have to be kidding, right?

That’s just manipulating the rest of the community by saying that and making them feel guilt if they stay in the server. The server is there for a competitive aspect of the community to allow players to play with others without relying on others from their team to be able to play. Most people are there to play. Your biggest worry is that these ‘pedophiles’ are able to have ‘access to minors’, yet they’re already restricted by the amount of words they can say (which most aren’t even words, just bot commands).

If you really want them gone from the community, they’d have to be banished from discord entirely since they still have ‘access to minors’ from other servers as well (which is even a broad assumption since people can simply block the user from sending messages or have their settings only allow dms from friends).

Look, I get that the community is trying to be safe for minors and those who may be affected by ‘pedophiles’ but guilting people to leave a server because of a claim on this thread when most people don’t even make an association of supporting pedophiles when playing in lounge. The people playing there are there to enjoy themselves and play some mogis.

*this is not coming from lounge staff, just a personal opinion*

Charles

oh my god just shut up and leave lounge we don't need another thread about this sort of shit lmao. i can't believe 'pedophiles around kids bad' is a controversial take either but it's his call to make. report him and the server and move on, not sure how this thread is going to aid the situation and it's the community's choice what they do. lounge =/= pedophile endoresement

Doc

Wiimmfi
2668-8830-6103
As a 14 yo myself, im lucky i never came across these pedo actions, but some werent and i feal bad for them. Im pretty new to this community and i was ready to reveal how this community functions so she might allow me to continue playing here without hideing this from my parents, but bc of ppl like this this, i still cant. Thank you so much "team that shouldnt be spoken of", im happy you stay by our side.

Shine

Wiimmfi
3441-9765-9946
Idk why lounge staff allow them in but chat restricting them like what they've done is a good balance so they don't reoffend

Process

Lounge Staff
Team
Longshlongs
It's almost universally agreed that those who have been caught in the act of pedophilia and such have no place in this community.
Unfortunately I do not believe that this is the case. Anyone who was in lounge in June remembers the time general chat was locked down cause a flame war went down between people defending divide saying he was a “good person” and “would never harm anyone” and people saying that he was a criminal and is clearly not a good person. Even today Daylon, who supposedly “quit the community” after selling his wii (which he actually did) has returned under a new alias (rx if anyone was wondering) and is still PLAYING IN CLANS WITH MINORS (as well as supposedly being in servers and chatting with minors but I myself don’t have proof of this, only secondhand evidence). You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. Idc that he’s dating someone over the age of 18 now. My WL clan warred against him the other day with a 14 year old in lineup (very close to if not the exact same age of the people he was in a relationship with that led to his banning on the site) . Clearly people are still accepting of these monsters which is not ok under any stretch of the imagination.

I personally believe all of these people should be permabanned from everything related to our community. Daylon himself said in staff chat when divide was caught that he thought divide should be banned due to being a danger to minors (oh the irony). I’m not gonna show the screenshot unless lounge bosses give permission, so I don’t fault you if you don’t believe me, however this is just crazy that nothing has been done.

My belief as staff is that we should protect the minors in our server from those who may be a danger to them. Chat restriction is a hindrance but not a complete safety net, as private messages exist and newer members of the community may not know the past of these people. Hopefully action will be taken in the near future.

PM me on discord if u wanna discuss this further, I won’t be checking MK boards much

Edison

Lounge Staff
Team
WollywogZ
1566419290955.png

classic "us vs them" scare tactics. not even against the idea of the thread as most of staff can attest to but hiding yourselves behind some edgy computer hacker-esque fashion is just stupid. there were better ways to do this imo, but i'll be ghosting this regardless (this is me speaking, not staff)

amaya

Team
OHIO
Wiimmfi
1808-0739-4570
lounge is ran by wZ mostly so obviously we should nuke wZ with hate mail 4Head

Jokes aside, I think this whole situation is just fucking stupid. Valence allowing pedophiles to play in lounge is unacceptable, period. At the same time however, I feel that MKBoards staff are trying to hide something based on how this thread is written. So either get these damn pedos/child molesters/whatever the fuck out of the community, or hire better staff thats able to do something instead of worthless staff that have taken this fucking long to start an investigation.

OP
G

Thread Starter #16
Since there is doubt about the Discord Trust & Safety Team actually investigating and that this is some type of scare tactic, I present to you redacted conversations between Discord's T&S Team and the user who submitted everything.

Please understand that any personally identifiable information has been redacted, as have all ID numbers and message numbers to reduce risk of exposure to those involved in developing the report.

Thank you.

Chéron

Lounge Staff
Supporter
I’m not gonna show the screenshot unless lounge bosses give permission
You have my permission.
Couldnt have said any of this better myself.
Not blaming the one who came up with this too much, but something couldve been ensured that all of lounge staff knew about this (which was not the case). This thread is how i found out about it.

Team
JJ
I'm only gonna say that this thread would have no existed if staff was morally smart enough to ban every single pedophile in the Lounge chat rather than just chat restrict them. Just because they cannot speak generally towards others doesn't stop the fact they can still start pming other underaged victims in the community. Ironically enough I mentioned this in suggestions chat on banning pedophiles in the Lounge server but of course nothing happened and I'm sure @Process can vouch on this when I mentioned it in #suggestions when I used to be in the server that time. The fact certain people are defending pedophiles because "it's not a big deal" or "it's too old, like who cares" or "he's my friend, he won't harm anyone you're just dense" really need to get their heads examined. But then again, we're in a community where people seem to lack basic morals and I guess aren't educated enough to under the basics of online safety towards others even younger players.

tl;dr: Just get rid of every single pedophile from this community and don't even associate with them or defend them. Just hit them with the block button if you want to be on the safe side of things.

Quinn

Lounge Staff
Supporter
Team
ωZ
Wiimmfi
4640-0793-0184
The longer you use inflammatory language the harder is it to take any of this seriously, just as an fyi.
435997CD-7118-4B6A-823E-BC9B77E744F8.jpeg

This is inappropriate line-crossing, not pedophilia. Your decision to not only inflame the conversation but also attempt to guilt-rid EVERYONE in the server tells me you’re more bored than concerned for the well-being of others.

What’s important:
This is only being brought back up because three or four people are chat-restricted—completely unable to communicate outside of joining a LU—rather than kicked from the server completely. As far as I’m aware they are almost all inactive, as well. Something tells me even if they were kicked from Lounge this wouldn’t go away.

This is my personal opinion and doesn’t represent that of Lounge Staff, but I’m getting really sick and tired of seeing people try to earn points off this very old topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.