• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

MK8D Over A Year Later - What Is Your Main Combo?

McMurphy

Supporter
Team
Shellslingers
NNID
McMurphy78
Switch
4985-2181-5316
Now that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is over a year old, what main combo have you settled into? Has it changed since the release? Has it changed since the Wii U?

For me, it hasn't for the most part. I still use a pro controller (the Switch version now, obviously). The only real change has been a cosmetic one: I race using a Medium Mii in a Splatoon outfit. Here is my current breakdown:

MK8Deluxe
Mii
SportsCoupe
Button
MKTVParafoil
------
Land Speed: 3.25
Water Speed: 3.5
Air Speed: 4
Anti-G Speed: 4.25
------
Acceleration: 3.75
------
Weight: 3.25
------
Land Handling: 3.25
Water Handling: 3.25
Air Handling: 3.25
Anti-G Handling: 3.75
------
Traction: 3
------
Mini-Turbo: 4

AeroYoshi

Disgust
Supporter
I've been using the same combo for the entire time once I unlocked the parts. Have been enjoying my combination except for being easily knocked around by the heavier classes. I'm tempted to try out other combinations to get more land speed since it's pitiful with my current setup. I'll cross the bridge when I get fed up with my current combination I suppose. I do sometimes use my Mii but I prefer Yoshi for the better Mini-Turbo & Acceleration.

I also use a Pro Controller since I feel that the analog is better than on the joy-cons, plus the joy-con's are kinda small.

Yoshi - Inkstriker, Roller, & MKTV Parafoil
------
Land Speed: 2.75
Water Speed: 3.5
Air Speed: 4
Anti-G Speed: 3.5
------
Acceleration: 4.25
------
Weight: 2.75
------
Land Handling: 3.75
Water Handling: 3.75
Air Handling: 4
Anti-G Handling: 4
------
Traction: 3.5
------
Mini-Turbo: 4.5

Morton or wario on mr Scooty with azure rollers and gold glider in wars

Sometime metal mario on the Mach 8 with rollers in worldwides

JupiterMK

Team
Sparta, Retro Roadsters
Switch
8014-0732-6225
Wiimmfi
2454-1345-4296
The most popular combo, that I know of, is:
  • Wario/Dry Bowser, or Morton/Bowser/Heavy Mii (Bowser isn't used because he is too tall).
  • Standard Bike/Wild Wiggler (Mercedes Benz W25 Silver Arrow and Flame Rider have the same stats but are not used as much because of their hit boxes).
  • Roller/Azure Roller.
  • Any Glider
All heavyweights, as well as the Buggybud, Mr Scooty, Inkstriker (with Cruisers like DK, Roy, or Waluigi), and Leaf Tyres (commonly used with the Buggybud, or occasionally the Yoshi Bike) are also used.

My combos are:
  • DK
  • Standard Bike
  • Roller
  • Leaf Glider
My secondary combo:
  • Waluigi/DK
  • Mr Scooty/Buggybud, or Yoshi Bike
  • Rollers, or Leaf Tyres (only with Buggybud)
  • Any Glider

However, the development of Baby Daisy as the meta is currently happening, so other lightweight characters can also be used as met or most preferred combo.

miz

tomorrow is a step behind.
Supporter
Wiimmfi
0564-3509-8207
I've changed my combos a lot over the past year, but this is what I stuck with.

150cc
  • Any heavyweight (ex. Roy, Morton, Link)
  • Standard Bike/Scooty with Morton
  • Red Rollers
  • Paper Glider
200cc
  • Lakitu
  • Scooty
  • Rollers
  • Any glider

3-UP

Team
BL/ρ♭
Switch
7940-7626-0308
I used to try out a bunch of different combos when I first got the game. Once I started playing competitively however, I did end up with a main combo to use. I chose to play with inward bikes because I like playing with different playstyles, even if it's not the optimal way to play.

150cc
maincombo1.png

I find that to get the most out of playing with inward, you have to focus your stats more on accel and handling. Since you can't change your angle of your bike much during drifting, it's gonna struggle a lot on making certain turns. Inward bikes actually used to have way better stats for that in MK8U, but since this is MK8D, you don't have a lot of options. I've tried using heavier characters and gliders, but I've had less success using them. Occasionally I like to switch to Link when I see a track get picked that requires more traction, but that's about it.

Waluigi is also the best character in this game, try and change my mind

200cc
maincombo2.png

Inward on 200cc sounds like a nightmare for a lot of people and if you're not a experienced player, it is. But I'm mad enough to do it, so these are my combo of choice. Inside bikes get a nice weight bonus and with Pink Gold Peach and the parasol, it can be good for harassing middleweights (and this combo more stylish as well). You don't really to use a lighter character, if you know what you're doing, but there will still be quite a few tracks where it's simply more optimal to switch. I like using Cat Peach, but you can really just use any middleweight you want.

Hedgi

Team
BL
NNID
jasad12345(im trash)
Switch
4451-5882-5610
Wiimmfi
dont have
i use wario/morton/roy for 150cc with sb and roller/azure rollers and any glider

200cc i dont play it

it is pretty much the same since release but i have switched wiggler to sb and roy is sort of an addition

Last edited:
Switch
1187-3106-8423
・Character → Karon
・Kart → Exciting Beetle
・Tyre → Sky Roller
・Glider → Super Kite

I always have a big focus on acceleration because this game is so item heavy.
It's much easier to get to full speed again after an item hit thanks to that.

Additionally, I put lots of focus on strategies based on the situation at the very moment, and make optimal use of both the course, and the items I hold.
This is in 150cc and 200cc.

Banana

Link > Streetle > Triforce Tires > Hylian Kite

It works well until I go up against Morton from Japan. :rolleyes:

Team
Nebula
Switch
0298-9515-5016
Wiimmfi
4902-2657-8040
For 150cc: -Rosalina/Golden Mario
-Mach 8
-Slim
-Gold Glider
For 200cc: -Roy/King Boo/Rosalina
-Biddybuggy
-Roller/Leaf Tires
-Any Glider

My combo for 150cc isn't that thought out because i don't really play that much xP, im way more addicted to 200cc.

Ace Tman

Team
My
Switch
5270-2801-0829
For both 150cc and 200cc
- Shy Guy
- Standard Bike
- Rollers
- Paraglider

I used to use the Biddybud for 200cc, but since I switch from playing 150cc to 200cc often, I thought it would just be best to keep the same combo for both modes. The Master Cycle Zero has caught my interest though so I might test it out in wars and WWs soon.

I've changed my combo a lot over the past months, but my character shall never change. :feelsgoodman:

Switch
2035-4069-1236
MK8

Yoshi
Yoshi Bike
Cyber Slick
Cloud Glider

MK8DX

Yoshi
Yoshi Bike
Standard Blue
Peach Parasol

Rosalina/Waluigi
Sports Bike
Cyber Slick
Waddle Wing

Reasons:
They nerfed the fug out of the combo i used in 8 so i decided to changed to standard to keep a decent amount of speed and the peach parasol because...idk i thought it was funny, and i decided to pick up Rosa and Waluigi as secondaries because why not