Mario Kart 9 - What It Should Be Like

ZoomZike

Whether to say we were right in our predictions or just for fun speculation, coming up with how the next iteration of this series should function is no easy task.

Mario Kart's gone down different roads, including dual drivers, gliding, underwater driving, antigravity, and other variations; not to mention the many courses that have graced use throughout this series' legacy.

I took it upon myself to tackle this thought experiment in video format, showcasing how I'd personally design a theoretical Mario Kart 9, or as I like to call it:
Mario Kart Defi9tive

Any thoughts to further the discussion are appreciated; I'd like to see how many people agree or disagree with my take on what direction the series should go in!

Team
EQ, AM, 00I, SA
Wiimmfi
1593-4209-3300
It's good to have you here ZoomZike. The roster being Mario-only is definitely believable, though I expect that a measure of non-Mario – or even non-Nintendo! – could find its way into MK9, possibly in the form of Kirby and Crash respectively. I'm assuming Banjo (🐻) is a little too much to hope for.

I'm a fan of the game being comprised solely of retro tracks. At this point there is an abundance of tracks available without the need to worry about new ones. If retro tracks are included which require the use of mechanics such as flight or anti-grav, then it stands to reason that said mechanics would be in the game. Reverse mode is a great idea too.

Team
4DR
Switch
No Switch :(
Wiimmfi
0349-6006-0023
I'd like for MK9 to be something like Smash Ultimate, bringing every feature, racer and course from past MKs in a big epic celebration. Perhaps some old mechanics could be brought back, but you can choose to toggle them off or on to adjust your playstyle. You could also decide whether you prefer pre-made karts or use the customizable system from MK7 and 8/8D, and even include Double Dash as a mode! I could go on and on with the ideas :p

NNID
SoporificSG
Wiimmfi
0263-7013-2101
Character Selection
Mario
Gay Luigi
Peach
Toad
Yoshi
Daisy
Rosalina
Mii
Wario
Waluigi
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Donkey Kong
Dikky Dong
Funky Kong
Mii Outfit B
King Boo
Dry Bones
Dry Bowser
Petey Piranta

Last edited:
OP
ZoomZike

ZoomZike

Thread Starter #7
I'd like for MK9 to be something like Smash Ultimate, bringing every feature, racer and course from past MKs in a big epic celebration. Perhaps some old mechanics could be brought back, but you can choose to toggle them off or on to adjust your playstyle. You could also decide whether you prefer pre-made karts or use the customizable system from MK7 and 8/8D, and even include Double Dash as a mode! I could go on and on with the ideas :p
When I made the video, I was thinking in terms of the limitations a game developer would have when creating the game, so all those ideas you listed weren't things that came to mind since I viewed it as too much work.

THEN HERE COMES SAKURAI WITH EVERYTHING HE AND HIS TEAM ARE DOING, BLOWING EVERYTHING I THOUGHT I EVER KNEW ABOUT THIS STUFF OUTTA THE WATER.

So in conclusion, yes I agree that would be cool, haha.

Character Selection
Mario
Gay Luigi
Peach
Toad
Yoshi
Daisy
Rosalina
Mii
Wario
Waluigi
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Funky Kong
Mii Outfit B
King Boo
Dry Bones
Dry Bowser
Petey Piranta
The "Gay Luigi" caught me off-guard, nice work

It should be like NFS imo. with graphic quality like 1080 p 60fps and such which might happen in the next console.

DaAuGo

Switch
5240-0623-0153
Wiimmfi
4086-2237-7476
here are my thoughts. Keep Mario, Luigi, peach, daisy, Rosalina, bowser, wario, waluigi dry bowser, baby Mario, baby Luigi, dry bones, and king boo. Keep yoshi and shy guy but do the color variations like they have been, and let toad, koopa troopa, and bowser jr do the same thing only bowser jr would just be the koopalings. They should bring back funky Kong, diddy Kong, koopa paratroops, dkjr, and petty phirana

newcomers!!!! I feel like it’s time for magikoopa to take the wheel and join the roster. Along with magikoopa I feel goomba, and professor e gad should race.

if they continue to use other non Mario characters like link, inkling, and villager then I feel captain falcon deserves the spotlight and here’s why. We have 2 of his stages, and his car, but not him so he deserves the spotlight by now

Silver

The petals of a now fully bloomed look of madness
Supporter
Team
Battle Cry | In$ane
Mechanics wise, give bikes wheelies again but give karts either the ability to snake like mkds or fire hop like in mk8u, if double items come back, either nerf reds or make it so you can't pull 2 in second, fix laggy item trails, and remove bombs in first.
In terms of characters/tracks/karts, just bring everything back like smash ultimate, along with some new stuff, this may be a bit outlandish, but I don't really care

Luxaitor

Team
7κ, 8α
Switch
1152-5511-8926
Wiimmfi
2153-4887-7718
Mechanics wise, give bikes wheelies again but give karts either the ability to snake like mkds or fire hop like in mk8u, if double items come back, either nerf reds or make it so you can't pull 2 in second, fix laggy item trails, and remove bombs in first.
In terms of characters/tracks/karts, just bring everything back like smash ultimate, along with some new stuff, this may be a bit outlandish, but I don't really care
I wouldn't mind wheelies making a return, though, I think there shouldn't be a way to abuse wheelies without having more drawbacks to wheelies. Honestly it should be more risky to pull off a wheelie. Here's how I balance bikes in general....

- Wheelies give you a 5 or 10% speed boost, in comparison, I heard MKWii gives you a 12% speed increase but chain wheelies and wheelie after a mini-turbo can bump that to 15%.

- Wheelies don't increase your speed if shrunken by Lightning, negatively decrease if flattened, going up a steep slope, and negatively impacts you if going down a steep slope as if a shell hits you.

- Must be at least 95% of top speed for wheelie to take effect, negatively decrease speed if 40% of top speed or lower.

- You must wait a full second (1.5 seconds for heavyweights) before you can pull off another wheelies, preventing chain-wheelies.

- You must wait before your mini-turbo has lasted it's duration before you wheelie can take effect, if wheelie during the mini-turbo duration, it cancels the mini-turbo.

- Wheelie bumps, if bumped, you lose all your speed.

- Inside Drift Bikes: If you drift while in a wheelie, that hybrid outside-inside drift from MK8 occurs, bike players can get caught off guard if a kart player lay a trap behind the bike player if the bike player is in a wheelie.

- Outside Drift Bikes: If you drift while in a wheelie, you drift slightly wider.

- Outside Drift Bikes have access to orange mini-turbos, but takes slightly longer to charge up than Karts.

- You can't wheelie underwater or in anti-gravity.

Last edited: