• The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • There are a number of upcoming tournaments that may interest people, so click the links to find out more!
    Embrace The Change - Cambridge, UK - MK8DX/MKW - 6th July
    Exalt - New York, USA - MKW - 13th-14th July
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

Embrace The Change | UK LAN Tournament

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

ace

hardstuck d5
Supporter
Team
VA

A Community Organised MK8/MKW LAN

Key Details and Links:

When: Saturday July 6, 2019
Where: Cambridge, UK (exact location tbd)
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/ACXDnhg
Additional Discord Contact: SleepyDamian#6014
We're really excited about this and want this to succeed but ultimately we will need the support of the community. We're aiming for as many people as we can get to attend, which is why a more physically more central location than London was chosen (it's also very easy to get to Cambridge from London).

Shoutout to Damian for leading this event and having the location 5 minutes away from my house, good stuff.

Format: TBD
We're hoping to run both a Singles (1v1v1v1 Double Elim) and Doubles (2v2 Double Elim) bracket. We're interested in the idea of track strikes/bans, so if you have any ideas about this feel free to get in touch.

The event itself is based towards MK8 although we will have an MKW setup at the venue (hence this is being cross-posted here) but that won't be the main focus of the event. It's mainly just for fellow brits and anyone else who's willing to travel from other countries to meet each other and have a laugh and possibly do some other things!

Entry fee: TBD (but not much)
Bear in mind this is still in the works, obviously we cannot charge under-18's to enter as this wanders into gambling territory law-wise but there will be a small entry fee for those who can. This isn't just because we want to get rich, booking a venue costs money, and having prizes costs money. Providing food and drink on the day costs money. Hopefully this is understandable and we want to keep costs as low as possible.
We're also planning to stream the event!

Accomodation:
The locations we have in mind are close to Cambridge's central train station. There are multiple hotels here so you have your pick of things like Travelodge, IBIS etc. I'd suggest finding someone to room with if you do plan on attending and splitting the cost because that'll make things even more affordable, however when I looked it was something like £50 a night for a room which isn't bad if you have some form of disposable income (and if you're coming anyway considering costs of trains that probably means you have some money to spend.)

Prizes (NotAScam.jpg) :
TBD (ideas include cash pot, games, etc.)

In all honesty I would love for this event to get sponsored, although due to that being one of the first of it's kind it's unlikely. This is where I need the community's input, because I'm sure that you guys have more ideas about this than I do. I'm willing to hear people out on a lot of things to an extent as I'm sure a lot of people want to push this community forward. If you would like to donate prizes or money towards the event then that is also more than welcome.
This is another reason why we are charging a small entry fee to the tournament for those applicable.

Can I help to organise this event?
Absolutely! If you think you'd like to attend and have an interest in helping out there are definitely multiple roles we will need help in, so just get in touch.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact on Discord or join the server.
This date is of course a long way away and we do have a lot of things to finalise, therefore I appreciate people's patience - this thread is currently a placeholder with basic information until we can develop more.
Hope to see some interest for this, we have been putting in a lot of work.​

OP
OP
ace

ace

hardstuck d5
Supporter
Team
VA
OP
OP
ace

ace

hardstuck d5
Supporter
Team
VA
Updates: - We have found and booked a venue! Our tournament is going to be held at The Signal Box, Cambridge. It's a privately owned centre that books out regularly to things like classes, sessions, and private groups. The venue has 2 rooms, one big (capacity 50-60) and one small (capacity 20-30.) We're planning on booking both rooms, and running the main tournament in the bigger hall. It also comes with a kitchen included so we'll have access to a fridge for soft beverages and be able to cook pizzas and have snacks. The venue is a 5 minute walk from the main train station in Cambridge! Google Map it for now, we'll provide directions closer to the day. - Due to the capacity limits of the venue (nowhere is perfect) we're going to be limiting the tournament registration to 48 participants. While this obviously isn't ideal I personally don't think it's a massive problem, we will still be able to have a good time and a fun day. I hope this doesn't discourage people from attending - this is the first time we're doing this so this is new for us too and big things sometimes need to start off small. As always a shorter version of this will be available on our Twitter later, we're pleased with the progress we're making and hopefully people can stay on the hype train.

Tom

i'll see if i can fit this one into my holiday. But a mkw tournament happening in the UK is ultra hype :D

elefish92

The dates are rather close (this and Exalt), but having a live United States vs. United Kingdom war in MKW/MK8 would be awesome to see. I feel like the clan wars are really where this community shines.