Custom Characters and "My Stuff"

AlexOdle

Switch
5345-4256-3710
Wiimmfi
3055-4305-5092
I have been using CTGP for a while now, and have been wanting to add mods to it. However, every time I attempt to add a mod it either doesn't work properly or doesn't work at all. The correct procedure to add mods that I've gathered from several videos and such is that I just need to download the mod and extract the files into the "My Stuff" folder. I have done this each time. Simple.

The first mod I tried is a "Black Yoshi" custom character. Upon putting the files into the folder and loading the game up, the model itself was functioning as intended, but the menu and map icons were not, despite the mod including icons for those. Other mods have their files organized differently, such as one having SZS files in a separate folder. This all baffles me as I just thought I was supposed to put the files into the "My Stuff" folder and that would sort itself out. But it isn't working.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just the mods that aren't functioning properly?

NNID
Kurtzzy
Wiimmfi
3871-4734-9791
If the mod didn't include a menusingle.szs or a race.szs, then that's the source of your problem. The Menusingle.szs contains the menu icons

1535468738327.png

And the Race.szs contains the map icons

1535468868364.png

Last edited:

mkwbenjamin

Black Lives Matter.
Supporter
Switch
2872-9308-0601
Wiimmfi
5117-0125-4985
@Kook is correct, simply putting the icons directly in the "my stuff" folder wont work.

I believe the name for the menu icon you need to replace is "tt_yoshi_64x64.tpl", and the mini map icon "tt_yoshi_32x32.tpl"
MENU: MenuSingle.szs : . : button : timg : tt_yoshi_64x64.tpl
MINI MAP: Race.szs : . : game_image : timg : tt_yoshi_32x32.tpl"

As for the menu model, it should be placed/within "Driver.szs".
Im assuming the download just came with a file named "ys.szs", so therefore you just have to replace the original "yz.szs" with the one included in your download, save, and place "Driver.szs" in your "my stuff" folder. Load up the game, and everything should work fine with that.
MENU MODEL: Driver.szs : ys.szs

I'm away from my files at the moment, so I can't double check all of the directories I gave you in blue [ it's all from memory ], but they should be right regardless. If someone sees this and knows it is wrong, feel free to correct me.

If you don't have a clean "Driver.szs" I can pm you one...
and if you need a more in depth explanation/tutorial on how to replace the file, just let me know!

OP
A

AlexOdle

Switch
5345-4256-3710
Wiimmfi
3055-4305-5092
Thread Starter #5
Okay, so I seem to have determined the problem.

The issue is I have no idea how to replace files or use directories. No tutorial or website I look at has even mentioned this so I was unsure of whether or not it was completely required.

Yeah, as a newbie at this stuff, I would very much appreciate some guidance on how to replace files.

mkwbenjamin

Black Lives Matter.
Supporter
Switch
2872-9308-0601
Wiimmfi
5117-0125-4985
what you will need:

APPLICATIONS
brawlbox.png
BrawlBox [ DL ]​
FILES
( that you might not have/ are not in the download )
apps1.png
PM me for DLs​
( that i'm guessing were included in the download )

apps2.png
OTHER
mystuff.png
inside "ctgpr"​

tutorial:

driver.szs
STEP ONE
open brawlbox

double click on BrawlBox, it should open up a window that looks similar to this

openbrawl.png
STEP TWO
open "Driver.szs" in brawlbox

while keeping the brawlbox window open...
locate your "Driver.szs" file, click on it once, then click, drag, and release it anywhere inside the brawlbox window

info: "Driver.szs" contains the character models and animations that appear/play when you're selecting a character

step one: drag
2.png

step two: drop
2_2f.png

STEP THREE
replace the model

press on the [+] next to the folder named "." under <null> ...
now the left side of your window should look like this

3.png

then, right click on the file named "ys.brres" (yoshi's file) and a pop-up mini menu will come up

3_2.png

in the menu, find the button called "replace" and click it...
now a folder menu should come up, allowing you to find files

you want to search for the file named "ys.brres" that Is pictured above in needed files.
( I'm assuming it came with the download, if not, let me know and I can still make it work, it will just take more effort )

click on the "ys.brres" file that belongs to your black yoshi, and hit "open"

3_3f.png

STEP FOUR
double check

hit the [+] next to "ys.brres" after replacing it...
and it will show you this

picture
[ ran out of attachments :// ]

then click on the [+] next to "3DModels(NW4R)"...
and it will show you this

picture

then click on "model"...
and on the bottom right hand corner of your screen you should see a model of yoshi

picture

if you did it correctly, it should appear black, or however the character looks in-game during a race (in your/this case)
in my picture, yoshi looks normal because I don't have the same file to replace as you do, but I hope you still got the main idea

STEP FIVE
save your work

in the top left hand corner of brawlbox, there is a button that says "file"...
click on it

then, find the button in that drop-down menu that says "save" or "save as"...
( your choice - "save as" makes a new copy so you can still have the original )
click on it

picture

then a box will pop up that says "compressing <null>, please wait..."
that is normal

picture

then place your saved "Driver.szs" inside your "my stuff" folder, inside the folder called "ctgpr" on your SD Card

now your 1/3 done!

race.szs
STEP ONE
open up "Race.szs" in brawlbox...
your window should look like this

picture

instructions for this can be found in step one & two of driver.szs above, just use "Race.szs" in place of "Driver.szs"

STEP TWO
find the mini map picture

click the [+] next to game_image, then the [+] next to "timg"...
and your window should now look like this

picture

scroll down and look through all the tpl's until you find a file named
st_yoshi_32x32.tpl

picture

to double check that you have the right file
click the [+] next to it, which reveals a file named "Texture0"...
when you click on that, your screen should now look like this

picture

STEP THREE
replace the mini map picture

click on the file named st_yoshi_32x32.tpl from step 2, right click, replace...
find the file that has the same name from your black yoshi files, click "open"

STEP FOUR
save your work

see step five from driver.szs for directions

now you're 2/3 done!

menusingle.szs
STEP ONE
open up "MenuSingle.szs" in brawlbox...
your window should look like this

picture

instructions for this can be found in step one & two of driver.szs above, just use "MenuSingle.szs" in place of "Driver.szs"

STEP TWO
find the menu picture

click the [+] next to "button", then the [+] next to "timg"...
and your window should look like this

picture

scroll down through all the tpl's until you find a file called
tt_yoshi_64x64.tpl

it should be the very last one, and look like this

picture

STEP THREE
replace the menu picture

click on the file named tt_yoshi_64x64.tpl from step 2, right click, replace...
find the file that has the same name from your black yoshi files, click "open"

STEP FOUR
save your work

see step five from driver.szs for directions

now you're all done!

hope this helps! I'm pretty sure I covered everything, but if something doesn't add up, or you get confused,
or something doesn't work in-game, etc., just let me know and i'll gladly respond and try to answer
whatever other questions your have. Good Luck, and I hope I explained everything well enough : )

Last edited:
OP
A

AlexOdle

Switch
5345-4256-3710
Wiimmfi
3055-4305-5092
Thread Starter #9
Thank you for the in-depth guide, I found it very helpful.

Here's the problem, though: The mod I downloaded has a "Driver" file, along with the two "st" and "tt" files. What they don't seem to include, however, is a "MenuSingle", a "Race", or a "ys" file. I'm not sure why they aren't included, or if I'm just not looking in the right place for them. This makes the action of replacing the file very troublesome because I have nothing to replace it with.

Everything else is going smoothly. I'm fine with a more effortful way to replace it if you can help out with that. Thanks!

mkwbenjamin

Black Lives Matter.
Supporter
Switch
2872-9308-0601
Wiimmfi
5117-0125-4985
The mod I downloaded has a "Driver" file
And even when you put that in your "my stuff" folder, the character model on the lefthand side of the screen (in-game) looks unchanged?

If so, I can tell you how to take the textures from one of the bike/kart files and put it in the driver file. This method wouldn't require a ys.brres file, which is why i'm suggesting it at this point.

Most downloads have a edited driver and a brres so people can put multiple brres in their one driver to have more than one texture/model appear at a time. I would look in your downloaded files for a folder that says "driver", "for menu", "menu", "menu model", etc., because those will usually contain both files, or at least the brres. You can also type "ys" in the search bar of your file window when inside the folder with your downloads to double check. If you're 100% sure that the download you have does not contain a ys.brres, let me know, and I can help you with the method I talked about above.

What they don't seem to include, however, is a "MenuSingle", a "Race"...
If you start a new conversation with me under the "inbox" section at the top bar of this site, I can provide you with download links to my clean versions of these files (never edited before, taken straight from the game), so you can put your "st" and "tt" files in then, respectively.

If you need any further assistance from here, I'm still glad to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge!

TyStorm

Okay all of this helped me so much, thank you. However I've run into a problem with Cup icon editing, as whenever I go through the same process as the 64x64 TT icons to customize them, CTGP-R literally just crashes. I know this thread is two years old, but hopefully you'll still see this. BTW I used this to create my own personalized icons based off of inside jokes and such, so it should be noted that I didn't download anything from the internet.
PS, I already have all of the game's files from the ISO.
Also do you know anything about THP editing? I've read into it a bit, but using this one program Thwimp that the internet recommended is so complicated and I'm pretty sure that there is no way to access one of the 4 external tools that it utilizes.
If you see this message, I would greatly appreciate a response. I have practically no experience with source codes and stuff like that, though I am pretty flexible with modding Mario kart wii, but I still have a ways to go before I feel confident I can mod my friend's Mario Kart without blowing his Wii up. Thank you

Wiimmfi
2883-6317-3599
though I am pretty flexible with modding Mario kart wii, but I still have a ways to go before I feel confident I can mod my friend's Mario Kart without blowing his Wii up. Thank you
For that to happen, you must be doing something very wrong, figuratively and literally.

Though I can help you on Discord about THP making.