• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

Competitive Changes & WL Frequency Poll

How often would you like to play WL/EL? For info on what would replace it, read first half of thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Savannah

Thunder & Lightning
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
Explorers of Time
Good morning/afternoon/evening, I hope you’re all having a great day so far.

I’m happy to say that the survey I conducted was successful. It ended with 126 respondents from across the globe, across the community, with all ranges of experience. I made a server to discuss the ideas from this survey, to build, optimize, and theorize ideas. On this thread, I will discuss the tournaments and changes that the survey and the server produced. If you're unaware of what survey I'm talking about, you can view it here: https://www.mariokartboards.com/threads/spicing-up-mkw.5325/

Team Tournaments

Majors & Minors
  • Very similar to how CS:GO’s Majors & Minors system except adapted to fit our small community. For a visual explanation, watch this 3 minute video: click here (exclude Majors going to an IRL location, and the 4 Americas/EU/CIS/Asia divisions)
  • To adapt to our community, the Minors divisions would most likely be West & East
  • Majors prize pot would be funded by the community. First there would be a donation pot before the tournament’s commencement, and when the tournament is underway, there will be a money pot on stream for participants to add to.
  • Minors would most likely receive a small prize such as an award banner
  • To seed the Majors and Minors, a pre-season tournament will be held. How the pre-season works is up for discussion, however it should be a fast, efficient tournament with no prize with the only purpose being to seed Season 1 of Majors and Minors.
The tournament will not have entry fees, so the prize will be a money pot that is added to by the community.

There is a common misconception that most of our community would not be able to fund tournaments like these.

14% of the 126 respondents would not donate to LANs. No, this is not a LAN tournament. But that is an example of how many people are not willing to put money towards anything MK-related, and it could be for a various number of reasons, but it is a minority.

Additionally, there are plenty of people who have shown interest in money and MKW on the survey, and some people have already approached me regarding their interest in putting money towards a prize. The prize won’t even touch $1M as some CS:GO Majors have as prizes, it may even be something as small as $200 to split within the winning team – who knows? In my opinion that’s not even a small prize especially since my own personal goal is just to enjoy the game.

Team Knock-out with 3 lives system
  • Runs over a day or a weekend depending on the number of teams
  • Signup via thread or server
  • Teams will go up against another team. If a team loses a race by more than 15 (in bagging matches), they lose a life.
  • Examples of races that could cause a team to lose a life: 1, 6, 7, 8, 10 is -13, so teams would only need first to save themselves from losing a life. 1, 2, 5, 6, 10 is +13 while 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 is +15 so you would see bagging points matter.
  • This would increase the need and urgency of teamplay during matches as small increments to your team’s score wouldn’t be the case anymore, you would need to play at your best in order to help your team dominate the race.
  • Use Toad Bot to make it easy to keep track of +/- of races.
Concerning the frequency of WL/EL and the above tournaments

Majors & Minors would definitely be the biggest commitment out of any of these tournaments and has potential to take over as the dominating tournament of our competitive scene, but that’s all theory. The main point of the survey is that people are bored of WL, playing double round robin + conferences/playoffs. What may have worn everyone out is the frequency – maybe it’s not ideal to let go of leagues completely, since WL having 5 RT + 2 CT divisions shows that the interest in leagues still exists, but the survey has shown it’s time to make way for other interesting tournaments.

The poll on this thread will make a huge change in the community’s competitive scene. Every vote is highly valued – please vote for how frequently you would like to play WL/EL. If this was your only interest concerning this thread, thank you for reading. Otherwise, please continue reading for more ideas concerning individual tournaments, casual tournaments, and ideas to change the clanning system.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Individual Tournaments

Knock-out with 3 lives system
  • Sign-up via thread or server to play on a date in the future
  • Each player starts with 3 lives. If they place bottom 3, they lose a life
  • Once the player has no lives they are knocked out of the tournament
  • Once there are 6 players left in the room, all rooms reset and re-group into rooms of 12
  • How rooms work, when rooms reset, and what it takes to be eliminated is up for discussion

Time Trial Tournaments
  • Similar to GSA (Global Speedrun Association)’s Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Tournament (watch here: click here)
  • Players go up against another player in a 1v1 Best of 9 (best of 13 after the first two rounds) time trials match. First player to get 5 wins, wins the match. Participants must be able to stream to a commentator(s).
  • Players obtain wins by finishing the time trial first.
  • Track selection: Both players ban a track before the match begins. Higher seed picks the first track, and from there on, the loser of the race picks the next track.
  • Tournament format: Up for discussion. How MK: DD’s tournament works is it’s a bracket then a league-style format.

Themed Custom Track FFAs
  • Different from the CT FFAs ran before
  • The tournament organizer will compile 32 tracks that are in CTGP or are not in CTGP. The custom tracks that are chosen are based on a theme chosen either by the organizer or the community
  • The themes would NOT be “sunset tracks” or “lava tracks”, but something like 2012-2013, 2013-2014, etc.

Casual Tournaments
These tournaments are meant to cater to the side of our community who play solely for fun.

3 GP 1 room monthly themed tournaments
  • Examples of themes would be blue falcon only, heavyweight only, etc.
  • The tournaments would run 3 GPs, and ideally be one room only.
  • Winner of the tournament would be given a banner as an award
2 GP 1v1 tournament
  • 12 seeds (could increase based on number of players interested)
  • Bottom 4 seeds get a bye to second set of matches
  • Runs double elimination
  • Rules such as TC megas, TC autofire, etc. are mutually agreed upon by the players before the match
  • To spice it up, this could run on CTs or Battle mode.
Underused Vehicle Domination
  • Players can claim a vehicle at the start of the tournament
  • Anyone may challenge a player to a 1v1 using that vehicle. If the player who owns the vehicle wins, they have successfully defended their vehicle. If the challenger wins, they now own the vehicle.
  • The tournament would run throughout one month. Players will be given banner awards and be crowned king of that vehicle
When you will start seeing the above tournaments roll out

Majors & Minors is my main priority at the moment, and I can say you will start seeing a full staff group, a concrete ruleset, and signups roll out by late September / early October. As for the other tournaments go, my aim is to help the people who gave these ideas / people who are interested in taking control of them and give them the resources they need to get their ideas running.

What can be done to give clan tags meaning again

Ideas from the survey and the Discord server I mentioned earlier are:
  • Impose a minimum clan age rule for WL, and potentially Majors & Minors. As an example, only clans 4 months of age may register for WL.
  • New site registry that is in beta development may aid with this – similar to MKCentral’s site registry, players will be able to register as individuals and sign with a team. More information on the site registry will come later directly from Betoman, the site admin. The main point of mentioning this is that we could reference team age to the site registry.
  • Re-introduce the concept of pick-ups to our community, but with a different idea. In Splatoon, pick-ups are one-off groups that can play matches and tournaments. The idea is to let people play with their friends, but not undermine the value of main clans.
Regarding your ideas for WL, EL, and Lounge on the survey

If you had ideas regarding the three for rule fixes, the ranking system or the way the league works, I am about to compile a document after I post this thread for the respective staff groups to take a look at which will include your ideas that you put into the survey (if you were in the discussion server, I will also include rule fixes, etc. from there as well). You will hear directly from WL/EL/Lounge staff if any of these ideas are implemented.

Why I’m doing all of this and my hopes with what these changes will bring forward

As someone who started playing competitively in 2012 as a 12-year-old with nothing else to do, I’m no longer that person with all the free time in the world. It’s starting to become a challenge to find time to play with my friends. Of course I have some free time on my hands, but my friends have jobs to commit to as well and would rather be playing other games during their free time as MKW exhausted them. Quite frankly, I feel the same way – It’s just the same thing over and over again.

I hope to introduce new tournaments that will spice up competitive play not only for my clan, but for the community. My pure desire is to make this game interesting for myself again. My goal is not to “save the community” – if these changes become sustainable, great, but in my mind that is only a byproduct. Eventually our community will age more and more, and some of us will move on. Before that happens, I’d love to enjoy MKW again.

Last edited:
OP
Savannah

Savannah

Thunder & Lightning
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
Explorers of Time
Thread Starter #3
hell no kp isnt coming anywhere near the prize pot

In all seriousness I'll be the one to manage the prize pot for Majors & Minors. I'm not sure how I can prove myself credible other than I ran a pay-to-enter tournament not too long ago (LACUNA) and have receipts of me sending money to the winners.

I know that this community has issues with credibility but all I wish is for this to work

Monyz

Media Staff
Team
Kaisers
This idea makes me actually wanna skip job and start grinding mkwii rn. Would love to have this things going. And would bring ppl that are planning to quit to have a reason to stay and play with their friends other then the league's where they don't listen to the community or the pressure of mogi lounge if you want to find the active "competitive" scene(there's no pressure but I need a reason to complain about it)

Vincent

Media Staff
Team
THC
Wiimmfi
5074 0644 5254

In all seriousness I'll be the one to manage the prize pot for Majors & Minors. I'm not sure how I can prove myself credible other than I ran a pay-to-enter tournament not too long ago (LACUNA) and have receipts of me sending money to the winners.

I know that this community has issues with credibility but all I wish is for this to work

can vouch for savannah as I participated in LACUNA :)

Articuno

Love, although it fades, it never gives up on you.
WL Staff
Lounge Staff
Supporter
Team
EXO // βc

I can assure you that she is reliable. I’ve and others have lent her money when it is needed and she’s payed it all back 100% to me and to the others (to my knowledge).

Kona

Supporter
I voted WL 2x and for EL to be removed, but honestly, if it's a once-a-year thing I don't see the harm in continuing to have two leagues

zs.

Banned
Team
Eternal Midnight / Manganese
When it was announced that an EL cup was happening I was under the impression that it would be replacing the 10 week version of EL. But no here we are doing another 10 week version of EL right after EL cup. When EL had first been created it was supposed to be a “offseason league”. But at the same time a 10 week league makes no sense for a offseason league. In my opinion, EL cup would be the better option for something during the offseason. It has kind of dragged on for probably for awhile now, but if ran right you could probably make into a 2-3 weekend tournament(kind of like what Jeff and Roy did with ITL). So I guess my point is, getting rid of a 10 week long plus playoffs version of EL would be cool. It would just be better in my opinion to have a WL season, then an EL cup during that offseason. That way WL and EL wouldn’t overlap and causes default changes (which did cause a few problems) and the entire offseason wouldn’t be filled with an EL season. And look I get you have the option to not sign up, but for the most part the team you are in that you “main or prioritize” plays leagues as much as possible. With EL cup, there would at least be a few weekends where you wouldn’t have to worry about making it to a league match.

Basically what I’m saying is:

WL season -> 2-3 week EL cup tourney then maybe 2-3 more weeks -> Then another WL season.

I do know people prefer playing EL at this point so I guess my point of view is biased as I still prefer WL. My other biased point of view is that I played competitive Splatoon for a long time and in that game most of the competitive scene was those 2-3 week tourneys (sometimes just 1 weekend) with double elim, and I found those very enjoyable.

These are just some of my thoughts. I kinda skimmed over the opening post so if I repeated stuff I apologize but this was just my thoughts off the top of my head.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, if EL cup is a thing again, do NOT get rid of the potential losers bracket run. Loser’s bracket winner is supposed to be able to go back up to the winners bracket and that just wasn’t created in this past EL cup. Half of the hype and fun of a double elimination with losers bracket IS THE losers bracket run

Team
GAMT | KG | R-
Just create some new tournaments instead of WL and EL, nobody cares about them anymore. That is the only way to make the game somewhat active (outside of lounge). Maybe do some 2v2v2v2v2/3v3v3v3 K.O- or League Tournaments. 5v5s have two major problems. Finding a war nowadays is a huge problem unless you want to face the same opponents over and over again. Also (at least in my opinion) 12 Player Rooms are just more enjoyable and have more potential (not 6v6). Mogi formats are way more challenging and "competitive" so if you ask me i would do a similar League but with different Formats. The EL Cup also had potential but i don't think WL or EL are the problem, it's just the format.
Yes i am a mogi main but there is just no way that wars will be popular again unless you have a really creative idea (which is not the case for me).

~Maidvelia~

Every day I'll fight to be Legendary
Administrator
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Yes i am a mogi main but there is just no way that wars will be popular again unless you have a really creative idea (which is not the case for me).
Would having this kind of thing on Mario Kart Boards help? There would be an approval queue so results cannot be faked.

why do we feel like we need to have 2 leagues which are pretty much the exact same nowadays?