• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

Anyone watching MegaMan 11 Tournament?

Would be neat to do something similar for MKW. If you're not aware, the top (approximate) 20 players came together to do 4 hours worth of speedruns. Every runner had to complete their 1st run but then had the remaining time to reset and complete runs and only their best completed time would be saved within this time frame. They had to complete a certain condition in their runs to prove it was legit, but yeah.

Imagine doing something similar for an all 32 course run between runners? Or maybe because of the length of it, one competition for nitro courses and another for retro courses.

Many runners have already PB'd, and 2 players were on WR pace at one point. It's been met with positive results thus far (it's still on going right now).

I figure something new and different would be interesting for the community.

Thoughts?

~Maidvelia~

Every day I'll fight to be Legendary
Administrator
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
This would be hype. There would need to be some rules for loaders and consoles though.

It seems like the most fair playing ground would be CTGP-R with Custom Tracks set to OFF on a Wii U. Another method of going about it would be using In-Game Time instead of Real Time Attack.

Kona

Supporter
definitely in support, but i'm not sure how much participation a thing like this would receive from other players

Stunky

Triple OwO
Banned
definitely in support, but i'm not sure how much participation a thing like this would receive from other players
Speedruns are active enough, but the question would be whether you can get skilled people involved or if it's going to be a case where 1 or 2 experienced runners are playing against a bunch of people who've volunteered to play for the sake of trying things out.

In game time would absolutely be the required measurement for things as loading times can vary significantly depending on a number of factors. Would also mean some may have to be pretty active to referee throughout the whole period to do the maths for each runner, so maybe complications there.

You would also maybe need to make the allotted time longer. With Mega Man 11 I believe the a run is 40 minutes for the average player, for the sake of rounding. MKWii (32 track) times are basically double that on average, somewhere around 1 hour 20 minutes for the sake of rounding. I wouldn't say double the 4 hours, but maybe 6 hours would be a fairer time length to allow for a number of runs to be done, as with 4 hours you'd be lucky to fit 3 full runs in had you not restarted runs at any point.

It's definitely a fresh new idea though, interested to see what people think, and if enough would be interested in being involved. I'd certainly be interested in helping and/or playing myself.

OP
I
Thread Starter #5
Speedruns are active enough, but the question would be whether you can get skilled people involved or if it's going to be a case where 1 or 2 experienced runners are playing against a bunch of people who've volunteered to play for the sake of trying things out.

In game time would absolutely be the required measurement for things as loading times can vary significantly depending on a number of factors. Would also mean some may have to be pretty active to referee throughout the whole period to do the maths for each runner, so maybe complications there.

You would also maybe need to make the allotted time longer. With Mega Man 11 I believe the a run is 40 minutes for the average player, for the sake of rounding. MKWii (32 track) times are basically double that on average, somewhere around 1 hour 20 minutes for the sake of rounding. I wouldn't say double the 4 hours, but maybe 6 hours would be a fairer time length to allow for a number of runs to be done, as with 4 hours you'd be lucky to fit 3 full runs in had you not restarted runs at any point.

It's definitely a fresh new idea though, interested to see what people think, and if enough would be interested in being involved. I'd certainly be interested in helping and/or playing myself.
Then let's keep it balanced...by forcing balanced instead of strategic. Strategic takes away a lot of the luck factor. Forcing balanced items means blue shell and shock are in play and will even the playing field a bit. Luck will play a factor and item management will have to change. It won't be about who has the best lines, but also good item management. Mediocre runners could get lucky items or blueless runs and get higher than they normally would. The MM11 tournament is coming to a close in a few mins. Over half the runners got new records, a new world record was set, and there's a 7 minute difference between 1st and 20th...and yet everyone is still having fun.

I think splitting into a nitro competition and a retro competition would be best. This would cut the times down in half or so, making it more manageable. I think 6 hours would be a lot to ask of anyone. But that's my opinion. Could even do 1 of each competition.

Even I would boot up the game to play in it...the tough part would be streaming it for me.

A ruleset would need to be made for it, but I gather you'd mostly follow WL rules without the whole wifi bit since it'd all be done offline.

Kona

Supporter
exactly my point. something like this would require a lot of high-skilled players to participate and i'm just not sure how something like that would play out, seems the only thing that wins people over nowadays are prizes

OP
I
Thread Starter #7
exactly my point. something like this would require a lot of high-skilled players to participate and i'm just not sure how something like that would play out, seems the only thing that wins people over nowadays are prizes
Sure, the prizes here were huge, but look at the huge time gaps. Only 2 potential WR players, 3 eventual potential WR players, and then a group of 5, another group of 5, and then some stragglers. And it was a huge success. No complaints from any players or viewers. Everyone had fun. I don't see why it has to be top people only. Most players would have participated even without the prize money.

Kona

Supporter
Sure, the prizes here were huge, but look at the huge time gaps. Only 2 potential WR players, 3 eventual potential WR players, and then a group of 5, another group of 5, and then some stragglers. And it was a huge success. No complaints from any players or viewers. Everyone had fun. I don't see why it has to be top people only. Most players would have participated even without the prize money.

maybe not *only* top tier players. the point i was getting at was that it really wouldn't be that fun (in my opinion) if it's obvious who's going to win before it even starts

OP
I
Thread Starter #9
maybe not *only* top tier players. the point i was getting at was that it really wouldn't be that fun (in my opinion) if it's obvious who's going to win before it even starts
Is there really 1 or 2 players with that much of a lead who also have good item management skills though? I don't pay much attention to anything competitive nowadays, but yeah. I think it would still be fun for those who wish to participate, even if they don't win. The guys at the bottom end still all had a blast, even though they lost. Some got new records and got their enjoyment through that. Others learned brand new strats from the better players that they didn't even know about.

K1NG

EL Staff
Looks really interesting, i would participate if the time lenght would not be longer than 3 hours I guess. I don't know if a 32 tracks speedrun would be really interesting to watch, we could maybe do a shorter run on a specific cup for example.

Last edited:

Shawn

I'd be down to do something like this during the summer, and I've already speedrun a few times so it would be pretty easy.

Team
CwC, Inv
Wiimmfi
3141-3291-6978
Interesting tho idk if you are speedrunning Megaman 11 yourself in here. There are quite a bunch of very very good speedrunners in the picture you shared. Imo for an adverage "speedrunner", 40minutes or less is a good time. An average player, it'd take him time to do it. Megaman games are generally not that easy to play, since you have to know the use of each powers and the abilities of megaman himself (his moveset basically).

Would still be an interesting idea, but hopefully not only about megaman 11 but like any speedrun that people agrees on. Could be interesting that in this website we sometimes organise some speedrunning events. That's what I agree on.

Looks really interesting, i would participate if the time lenght would not be longer than 3 hours I guess. I don't know if a 32 tracks speedrun would be really interesting to watch, we could maybe do a shorter run on a specific cup for example.
Any kind of category can interest the viewers, that'd be nitro/retro cups only or all cups. The entertainment mostly comes by the commentaries and how the stream is presented. Ah and also if it's a game in which viewers are interested to watch.

I remember that Jcool did a speedrun at Gdq of mario kart wii only nitro cups, and that was actually entertaining. Even retro cups would be interesting to see too, the remakes done on mkwii are very good imo.

You're sort of right there, but let me give you a counter example here. Probably you heard of it, but Celeste is a recent videogame on switch, ps4, xbox one. There was I believe a month ago a stream showcasing 2 runners of this game in Any %: TGH (who's an amazing speedrunner, very very good speedrunner and currently the best in Celeste) and Fladervy (a new speedrunner since almost 2 years who has mostly played Freedom Planet, very good speedrunner too). Most of the people believed TGH would easily win since he's very skilled in Celeste and was also the 1st player having a sub 30minutes, when Fladervy did a wonderful comeback at the end of the run and ends by winning, doing a 30minutes sub.

Here just to tell that you never know who can win. Was a bit long of an example, hehe. Hopefully we'll have good runners and preferably entertaining ones.

PhoenixRiku

Supporter
Typically the speedrun channel does categories and games that are competitive. No offense but the speedrunning MKW community is not really (really most Mario Kart games speedrunning community, apart from N64). The other part is the RNG element. I think you would get a lot more traction leveraging the Time Trial community (which is basically speedrunning, but the TT community and the speedrunning community are oddly extremely separate). And do a popular course that has a few good runners active and close to set aside like 1 hour for best time to meet the similar requirements that speedrunning community does when they do these events. Competitive runners and non-heavy-RNG games.

Partial exception to what I just said with randomizers, but that still isn't RNG based and more or less game knowledge to make educated decisions based on odds + execution. And randomizers are just trendy in the community nowadays anyway.